Re: [eldil] C.S. Lewis -- enemy of the Golden Rule?

  • SherryT
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2007
      From Steve Hayes <hayesstw@...>
      Date 2007/11/21
      Subject [eldil] C.S. Lewis -- enemy of the Golden Rule?

      > Here is something I posted a few weeks ago in the
      > alt.books.inklings newsgroup.

      > I'm reposting it here, along with a very good reply I received.

      Is there more to the rebuttal?

      Under the Mercy?

      SherryT

      My original message was:

      === Quote original message ===

      There's an interesting article on the web that maintains that C.S. Lewis was
      an enemy of the Golden Rule.

      I won't quote it all, but here's a snippet:

      Lewis was really in a way like Marx.

      And the reply:

      === Quote of reply ===

      On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:27:02 GMT, Roberto Abajo <repl...@...> wrote:

      >My first comment is that the author appears to have dipped widely into CSL
      >non- Narnian works without pausing to actually listen to the proper sense
      >of the words, as though building a case for the prosecution. ("I'll be
      >judge, I'll be jury," said the cunning old Fury, "I'll try the whole case
      >and condemn you to death.")

      >I only have time to deal with two absurdities.

      >First, Emeth in TLB causing the author to wonder if Lewis was a Satanist:
      >Lewis explains in the clearest possible terms that it was not the name of
      >the god Emeth sought with a longingly pure heart and sterling deeds, but
      >that same heart and those deeds which gained him entry into Aslan's
      >paradise (that is, the platonically Real World).

      >Next, in a very popular work during CSL's lifetime, *The Screwtape
      >Letters*, the devil whose correspondence is held up for review discussed
      >the possibility of influencing his nephew's "patient" to be a conscientious
      >objector, in a way which showed to me that Lewis held no animosity for that
      >particular way of following the teachings of Christ: "Is your patient a man
      >of great physical courage?" saying that if that were the case, it might do
      >more harm than good in the cause of the man's damnation.

      >This is hardly consistent with the picture of Lewis as a Marx-like figure,
      >defending the right of states to make war and tell their soldiers to kill,
      >because his state, in having troops to enforce its will immorally, would
      >make CSL safer and more well known. The passage that he takes as clearly
      >showing this -- a German soldier and Lewis simultaneously killing each
      >other in battle and then laughing about it afterwards - I read as arguing
      >that Nationality, like a particular language itself perhaps, is something
      >that will have to be set aside after death, something merely mundane and
      >past, forgiven in favor of true understanding.

      Thanks very much for that.

      I think you've got it exactly right, and the examples you give are good ones.

      http://www.librarything.com/catalog/hayesstw
      http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Methodius

      ~~~~~~~~~
      Seabird will be available from Gryphonwood Press, Nov 2007.
      http://www.gryphonwoodpress.com/images/catalogueJune2007.pdf

      Fans of C.S. Lewis will love Sherry Thompson's novel. When Cara Marshall is transported to Narenta, she is proclaimed champion of its people against the sorcerous daemagos. Amid the grateful welcomes, Cara protests that she has been
      "world-napped," and wants neither her title nor her mission.
      "They've got the wrong person and they're going to get me killed because they won't admit it."
      With no knowledge of weapons or magic, can she save the Tethran kingdom and find her way home?

      Read a sample at: http://khivasmommy.googlepages.com/home
      ~~~~~~~~~