Re: [eldil] A question out of the blue

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2012
      On 10 Sep 2012 at 14:03, Dan Drake wrote:

      > BTW, Williams was largely responsible for the first notable religious work by
      > Sayers, "The Zeal of thy House", the Canterbury Play of 1937, for which
      > commission she was recommended by Williams in 1936. So they were surely
      > talking theology, and no doubt Dante, just at that time.
      >
      > Anybody know more about the relations between them at that time, or about
      > Williams writing anything like what I've mentioned?

      Unfortunately I don't

      > Apologies if this is too long and off topic, but at least I warned you!

      It is neither -- I just hope there is someone else who knows more about it
      than I do!

    • Dan Drake
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 12, 2012
        On Sep 10, 2012, at 7:46 PM, Steve Hayes wrote:

        >> Apologies if this is too long and off topic, but at least I warned you!
        >
        > It is neither -- I just hope there is someone else who knows more about it
        > than I do!

        Thanks. I was perhaps too apologetic, as the members of the group haven't shown any signs of disliking an obscure question.

        In fact, some more research has debunked a major part of my bright idea. Details are more relevant to Sayers people than to Inklingites; but Dorothy L Sayers and Charles Williams seem not to have been in contact at all at the time in question, 1936. WIlliams's recommendation to the Canterbury board was based on what he had seen of her other work.

        A simpler but obscure question remains for any Williams experts who missed the first one: Did Williams publish anything before mid-1936, in his Dante studies or his general Christian writings, about the idea of cold-blooded sins vs. warm-hearted? Or are there any references to such concepts known from anywhere?

        My only sources for the concept are Roosevelt in 1936 and Sayers in 1941, a charmingly mixed group. But Williams seems just the person to have formulated up the idea that was implicit in the Divine Comedy.

        --
        Dan Drake
        dd@...