Re: Orthodox Christians and fantasy literature

  • Richard Lyman
    Message 1 of 7 , May 8, 2012
      Entirely agree with Stephen. The latest blog makes much better sense than the first! Agreed, lots of fantasy fiction is trash; but the same applies to any genre whatever! There was of course good fantasy written before the Inklings, and not necessarily Christian; Dunsany is name that leaps to mind. William Morris, too (though his books seldom live up to their glorious titles).
      Message 2 of 7 , May 13, 2012
        On 8 May 2012 at 8:05, Fr Methodios wrote:

        > It seems to me that Christian literature can include fantasy, but not all
        > fantasy is Christian. Lewis, Tolkien, Rowling all wrote Christian fiction in
        > the genre. Twilight is not Christian fiction - no noble task, no sacrifice for
        > others - just I want my "perfect" boyfriend and my perfect "life". The
        > Inklings showed the world that Christian lit can be exciting and not lame,
        > which usually happens when a writer sets out to write a "Christian" story and
        > degenerates into a thinly disguised sermon.

        Agreed - I think that the Inklings not only wrote Christian fantasy, but they
        wrote *good* Christian fantasy. Some other authors have tried to do that, but
        failed.