Re: Orthodox Christians and fantasy literature

  • Richard Lyman
    Message 1 of 7 , May 8, 2012
      Entirely agree with Stephen. The latest blog makes much better sense than the first! Agreed, lots of fantasy fiction is trash; but the same applies to any genre whatever! There was of course good fantasy written before the Inklings, and not necessarily Christian; Dunsany is name that leaps to mind. William Morris, too (though his books seldom live up to their glorious titles).
      Richard Sturch.
    • Ahnemann
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2012
        Not sure the series qualifies as fantasy or Sci-fi, but what does anyone have to say about Hunger Games? I'm about 50 pages into the first book and find it incredibly gruesome. There are some redeeming moments.
        AJA

        Sent from my iPad

        On May 8, 2012, at 9:05 AM, Fr Methodios <methodios102@...> wrote:

        It seems to me that Christian literature can include fantasy, but not all fantasy is Christian. Lewis, Tolkien, Rowling all wrote Christian fiction in the genre. Twilight is not Christian fiction - no noble task, no sacrifice for others - just I want my "perfect" boyfriend and my perfect "life". The Inklings showed the world that Christian lit can be exciting and not lame, which usually happens when a writer sets out to write a "Christian" story and degenerates into a thinly disguised sermon.

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 7 , May 13, 2012
          On 8 May 2012 at 8:05, Fr Methodios wrote:

          > It seems to me that Christian literature can include fantasy, but not all
          > fantasy is Christian. Lewis, Tolkien, Rowling all wrote Christian fiction in
          > the genre. Twilight is not Christian fiction - no noble task, no sacrifice for
          > others - just I want my "perfect" boyfriend and my perfect "life". The
          > Inklings showed the world that Christian lit can be exciting and not lame,
          > which usually happens when a writer sets out to write a "Christian" story and
          > degenerates into a thinly disguised sermon.

          Agreed - I think that the Inklings not only wrote Christian fantasy, but they
          wrote *good* Christian fantasy. Some other authors have tried to do that, but
          failed.