Re: [eldil] Orthodox Christians and fantasy literature

    Message 1 of 7 , May 7, 2012
      On 8 May 2012 at 3:53, Steve Hayes wrote:

      > On 6 May 2012 at 8:00, Steve Hayes wrote:

      > > Read about it here:
      > > http://wp.me/p3gtp-PN
      >
      > I trried to comment on Lily Parascheva Rowe's blog, but it would not let me,
      > so I'm copying her comment here:
      >
      > Thursday, 03 May 2012 18:25 posted by Lily Parascheva Rowe
      >
      > I'm sorry for any confussion here. I'm not in any way condemning the whole
      > genre. I wrote this because I've noticed something peculiar. I've talked to
      > people who think that because C.S. Lewis and Tolkien are considered founders
      > of the genre of fantasy that any and all fantasy must be just awesome. My only
      > point was that people should pay attention to the effect that certain readings
      > may have on the soul as opposed to simply gobbling them down as though they
      > were merely nuetral. In some cases there is nuetrality but there are also many
      > times when what is being delivered could be spiritually harmful. Twilight may
      > not be technically fantasy but several young people are carrying it around at
      > church and telling me it's just like Lewis. Yeah... that's a stretch for me.
      > To answer another question, I think parents decide what is appropriate for
      > their children. But for sure I wouldn't publish something I personally had a
      > problem with. I sure would not have published many of the things I find on the
      > "fantasy" bookshelf at the bookstores that just looking at the covers and
      > skimming through them you can file them in the trash bin. I know this makes me
      > sound hyper critical or some kind of fundamentalist but I'm not. I liked Harry
      > Potter for the most part. The Genre is blurred. Average people don't even know
      > what belongs in it anymore. It's like watching the SciFi channel and seeing
      > wrestling. I respect Fr. Andrew's opinion and I might even agree with it. He
      > just thought I was saying something a whole lot deeper than what I was really
      > saying. I was just posing the question.

      [see her blog post at
      http://tinyurl.com/7yr98d5 ]

      I think that puts it in a different light, because her original post, to
      which Fr Andrew Stephen Damick responded, implied that fantasy fiction was
      off limits for Christians, because the church fathers identified fantasy with
      the passions.

      I think Fr Andrew has dealt adequately with that point in his response, and I
      tried to cover the point that she was misdescribing literary genres, giving
      the impression that allegory is good and fantasy is bad. .

      The way she described it in the original post would imply that all fiction
      was to be avoided by Christians, because novels, plays etc are works of the
      imagination, and the imagination is inextricably linked with the passions,
      and should therefore be suppressed.

      The comment quoted above goes some way to clarifying it -- she did not have
      in mind the works of Lewis and Tolkien, but rather works that portray
      creatures like vampires as good.

      This can broaden out the discussion quite a bit.

      I quite recently discovered that there are some people who identify
      themselves as vampires, and even more recently discovered that there are
      people who identify themselves as zombies. But that takes the discussion out
      of the realm of literature, but perhaps I need to make it clear that I am
      talking about literary vampires here, and not about people who identify
      themselves with a vampire subculture.

      It is interesting that most of the myths and legends about vampires originate
      in the Balkans and Eastern Europe, roughly along the line where Orthodoxy and
      Western Christianity meet.

      It is also interesting that the Greek word for vampire -- vrykolakas -- is
      also applied to living persons in that it is colloquially used to refer to
      sexual predators -- rapists and the like.

      I think the best known (and still the best) vampire novel was Bram Stoker's
      "Dracula". I've read it several times, and have found it as enjoyable a read
      the last time as the first, even though it wasn't as scary as it was the
      first time around.

      I tried to read Anne Rice's "Interview with the vampire", one of the more
      recent examples of vampire literature, and found it heavy going. I'd have
      given up halfway through if I hadn't thought that I should be able to say
      that I *had* read one of Anne Rice's books, and was not just condemning them
      without having read them. I found it excruciatingly boring.

      I also read Stephen King's "'salem's lot", where the vampires are portrayed
      as evil, but found it boring and predictable.

      A recent vampire story I did enjoy was "The historian" by Elizabeth Kostova -
      my review here:

      http://khanya.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/at-last-a-good-vampire-story/

      I discovered C.S. Lewis's science fiction in 1959, and Charles Williams the
      following year. I discovered the Narnia stories in 1965, and Tolkien in 1966
      (when I also learned that Tolkien, Williams and Lewis knew each other, and
      that they had a kind of club called the Inklings).

      I read other fantasy stories as well, and loved the early Alan Garner. But it
      seems to me that some of the best fantasy stories were written before the
      genre itself became popular. The Inklings, and Garner, especially, wrote in
      the 1960s and earlier. Most fantasy literature written in the 1970s and later
      seemed inferior. I suspect that a lot of authors of little talent tried to
      cash in on its popularity. I read the Earthsea trilogy by Ursula le Guin, and
      enjoyed it, but not so much on a second reading, and when a fourth, really
      dull book was appended to the trilogy I wondered what I had seen in it the
      first time round.

      I read Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series, which in the publishers'
      hype was billed as the new Tolkien, but it didn't even come close.

      At one point I wondered if only Christians could write good fantasy
      literature, since Williams, Lewis and Tolkien were Christians.

      That theory was shaken when I disovered that some Christians could write
      really bad fantasy literature, such as Stephen Lawhead's "In the hall of the
      dragon king", which was full of cliches, and anomalies that the author did
      not seem to be aware of, such as rivers flowing uphill. In a fantasy world it
      is conveivable that a river might flow uphill by magic, if a wizard cast a
      spell on it or something, but not if they do so in a fit of absence of mind.

      One Stephen King novel that I did enjoy, and which also featured revenants,
      was "Pet Sematery". It also featured the Wendigo, which I knew from the short
      story of that title, by Algernon Blackwood, which I think is one of the best
      short horror stories ever written. You can read it here:

      http://tinyurl.com/ycsvr79

      In the end I suppose I must conclude, as I did in my blog post, that the
      difference between the fantasy literature of the Inklings, and that of most
      other authors, is not that the Inklings were Christians (though they were),
      but rather that they were interested in writing, and had a feel for, true
      myth.

      And that is what is missing in the writings of derivative authors.

    • Fr Methodios
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2012
        It seems to me that Christian literature can include fantasy, but not all fantasy is Christian. Lewis, Tolkien, Rowling all wrote Christian fiction in the genre. Twilight is not Christian fiction - no noble task, no sacrifice for others - just I want my "perfect" boyfriend and my perfect "life". The Inklings showed the world that Christian lit can be exciting and not lame, which usually happens when a writer sets out to write a "Christian" story and degenerates into a thinly disguised sermon.

        Sent from my iPhone
      • Richard Lyman
        Message 3 of 7 , May 8, 2012
          Entirely agree with Stephen. The latest blog makes much better sense than the first! Agreed, lots of fantasy fiction is trash; but the same applies to any genre whatever! There was of course good fantasy written before the Inklings, and not necessarily Christian; Dunsany is name that leaps to mind. William Morris, too (though his books seldom live up to their glorious titles).
          Richard Sturch.
        • Ahnemann
          Message 4 of 7 , May 8, 2012
            Not sure the series qualifies as fantasy or Sci-fi, but what does anyone have to say about Hunger Games? I'm about 50 pages into the first book and find it incredibly gruesome. There are some redeeming moments.
            AJA

            Sent from my iPad

            Message 5 of 7 , May 13, 2012
              On 8 May 2012 at 8:05, Fr Methodios wrote:

              > It seems to me that Christian literature can include fantasy, but not all
              > fantasy is Christian. Lewis, Tolkien, Rowling all wrote Christian fiction in
              > the genre. Twilight is not Christian fiction - no noble task, no sacrifice for
              > others - just I want my "perfect" boyfriend and my perfect "life". The
              > Inklings showed the world that Christian lit can be exciting and not lame,
              > which usually happens when a writer sets out to write a "Christian" story and
              > degenerates into a thinly disguised sermon.

              Agreed - I think that the Inklings not only wrote Christian fantasy, but they
              wrote *good* Christian fantasy. Some other authors have tried to do that, but
              failed.