Old Solar

  • Andrea
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2012
      Greetings!

      I am new here, having stumbled across the group while googling Valarin (language of the Valar). Lewis's work, fiction and theology and literary criticism and all, being a lifelong passion of mine, it sounded a good fit.

      Right now, though, my current interest is in the Old Solar language. Is there more written about it, either by Lewis or others, than is found in the Space Trilogy?

      Andromeda
    • Richard Lyman
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2012
        I don't think so, unless you count a remark by J. B. S. Haldane in an article attacking Lewis, to the effect that an ideal language (such as Old Solar presumably is) would not have such an array of variations in plurals!
        Richard Sturch.
      • Andrea
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 26, 2012
          --- In eldil@yahoogroups.com, Richard Lyman <charles_wms_soc@...> wrote:

          > I don't think so, unless you count a remark by J. B. S. Haldane in an article attacking Lewis, to the effect that an ideal language (such as Old Solar presumably is) would not have such an array of variations in plurals!
          > Richard Sturch.

          Hmmm...interesting point. Obviously Haldane's ideal is uniformity. On the other hand, Creation leads us to believe that it is in fact variety which is the more primitive state.

          Andromeda