Protectin g the Omnipotence

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2011
      Protecting the Omnipotence.
      Source: Williams 1958 (1931):217 (Many dimensions).
      Chloe Burnett is lying in bed conscious of an intruder,
      after the Stone, and thinks to use it to get away. "Then she
      would use it; after all, she was using it to save it. She was
      doing for it what it could not do for itself. She was
      protecting it. Not being a reader of religious history Chloe
      was ignorant what things have been done in the strength of
      that plea, or with what passionate anxiety men have struggled
      to protect the subordination of Omnipotence. But in her
      despair she rejected what kings and prelates have not
      rejected; she refused to be deceived, she refused to attempt
      to be helpful to the God, and being in an agony she prayed
      more ernestly."

      One of the examples of this attitude in the Old Testament is Uzzah (II Sam
      6:6-7).

      We are not to behave as if our poor little God needed us to prop him up.

    • Carolyn Janson
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2011
        O yes indeed. That is a truth we need reiterated over and over - or I
        do, anyway!
        I've just started Robert Farrar Capon's Hunting the Divine Fox. It looks
        like a good dose of, at the very least, common sense in this direction.

        I was just thinking that learning this lesson is truly a grace for us;
        an enormous relief; it's not defending God wants from us, but trust. CW
        does hit the nail on the head, doesn't he!

        Carolyn
        I'm an iherb fan: use my code WUY356 for your first purchase
        and get $5 off.
        http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=wuy356

        --
      • Richard Lyman
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2011
          "God has only us to defend his honour,
          and how can we do that if we leave off killing?
                I think that's from "Cranmer", but am quoting from memory.
          Richard Sturch.
        • Carolyn Janson