C.S. Lewis on "The place of the lion"

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2 10:26 AM
      C.S. Lewis on 'The Place of the Lion'.
      Source: Carpenter 1978:99.
      "On 26 February 1936 Lewis wrote to Arthur Greeves: 'I have
      just read what I think is a really great book, "The Place of
      the Lion" by Charles Williams. It is based on the Platonic
      theory of the other world in which the archetypes of all
      earthly qualities exist: and in the novel these archetypes
      start sucking our world back. The lion of strength appears in
      the world and the strength starts going out of houses and
      thing into him. The archtypal butterfly (enormous) appears and
      all the butterflies of the world fly back into him. But every
      man contains and ought to be able to rule these forces: and
      there is one man in the book who does... The reading of it has
      been a good preparation for Lent as far as I am concerned: for
      is shows me (through the heroine) the special sin of the abuse
      of intellect to which all in my profession are liable, more
      clearly than I ever saw it before. I have learned more than I
      ever knew yet about humility. Do get it, and don't mind if you
      don't understand everything the first time. It deserves
      reading over and over again. It isn't often nowadays you get a
      Christian fantasy."