Re: [eldil] Digest Number 139

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 27, 2011
      On 27 Oct 2011 at 13:47, Carolyn Janson wrote:

      > There is just one allegory in the book; it is the sentiment of courtly
      > love, expressed by means of allegorical poems.. So it probably is quite
      > different from the allegories you are thinking of. For instance, in the
      > beginning of the second chapter, he says this: "...you can start with an
      > immaterial fact, such as the passions which you actually experience, and can
      > then invent /visibilia /to express them......... this is allegory, and it is
      > with this alone that we have to deal." Like Erasmus's In Praise of Folly,
      > which came to mind as i was reading this excerpt. Though of course, the
      > courtly love allegory is in praise of that very specific form of love.

      Perhaps Lewis was quite "postmodern" about it. He clearly distinguishes
      between "writerly" and "readerly" allegories. Since the allegory of love is a
      study of allegory, rather than an allegory itself, it seems that it was
      mostly the second kind that people have found in his writing, and that he
      found in Tolkien's. Tolkien disliked allegory (I wonder if he read "The
      Faerie Queen" or "Animal Farm"), so I wonder what he would have made of
      Lewis's comment. Perhaps he didn't mind the "readerly" kind.

    • Richard Lyman
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 29, 2011
        Tolkien may have duisliked allegory, but if there is no allegory about Death and Purgatory in "Leaf by Niggle",  there is certianly a very convincing imitatio of one.
        Lewis's "The Pilgrim's Regress" is of course quite openoy allegorical.
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 31, 2011
          On 29 Oct 2011 at 15:45, Richard Lyman wrote:

          > Tolkien may have duisliked allegory, but if there is no allegory about Death
          > and Purgatory in "Leaf by Niggle",  there is certianly a very convincing
          > imitatio of one. Lewis's "The Pilgrim's Regress" is of course quite openoy
          > allegorical.

          I don't think I've read "The pilgrim's regress"