Re: [eldil] Digest Number 139

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 26, 2011
      On 26 Oct 2011 at 15:54, Richard Lyman wrote:

      > Indeed yes. Of course, Lewis liked allegory all rigyht - and wrote it!

      I think he wrote something called an allegory of love, or something like
      that, but I haven't read it. If I had web access I might try to look it up,
      but I don't, so I won't.,

    • Carolyn Janson
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 26, 2011
        He did. It is a book about the courtly love customs of the Middle Ages.
        I have it, but have not read it all; it is scholarly and quite dense.

        Carolyn

        --
        Death is not extinguishing the light; it is extinguishing
        the lamp because the dawn has come.
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 26, 2011
          On Oct 26, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Steve Hayes wrote:

          > On 26 Oct 2011 at 15:54, Richard Lyman wrote:
          >
          >> Indeed yes. Of course, Lewis liked allegory all rigyht - and wrote
          >> it!
          >
          > I think he wrote something called an allegory of love, or something
          > like
          > that, but I haven't read it. If I had web access I might try to look
          > it up,
          > but I don't, so I won't.,

          He wrote "The Allegory of Love", which is subtitled "A Study in
          Medieval(*) Tradition". It's about, and not an example of. It looked
          good when I read it or most of it, but it's not in my line at all.

          BTW it was a pleasure to see his comment on myth and allegory in the
          posting; that far into lit-crit, I can follow him.

          NB: TItle was copied from the Wikipedia entry, which I checked to make
          sure I hadn't got things totally wrong. Mentioning this to forestall
          any British-based comments on the failure to pay traditional homage to
          the ghosts of departed classical diphthongs. I don't know, however,
          what to think of the Amazon.com entry on the *Oxford* paperback.

          Further up etc: I didn't expect Google to find me an IMDB entry: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1385732/

          --
          Dan Drake
          dd@...
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 26, 2011
            On 27 Oct 2011 at 9:06, Carolyn Janson wrote:

            > He did. It is a book about the courtly love customs of the Middle Ages.
            > I have it, but have not read it all; it is scholarly and quite dense.

            I wonder what sort of his allegories he refers to there. In his letter to
            Tolkien about Beren & Luthien he refers to incipient allegories suggested to
            the reader, but not necessarily intended by the writer.

            I'm assuming that his allegories of love in that book are more direct, and
            intended by the writer, or would that be wrong.

            The kind he referred to in his letter to Tolkien I know well -- for example,
            I used to refer to Maugrim in letters to a friend who was banned in South
            Africa when I was in England, treating Maugrim (from "The lion, the witch and
            the wardrobe") as an allegory for the South African Security police, which
            would surely not have been intended by Lewis, but was an incipient allegory
            suggested to the readers. Similarly we saw the White Witch as an allegory of
            the then South African government, and the statues in her castle as
            allegories of those banned and detained without trial.

          • Carolyn Janson

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 27, 2011
                On 27 Oct 2011 at 13:47, Carolyn Janson wrote:

                > There is just one allegory in the book; it is the sentiment of courtly
                > love, expressed by means of allegorical poems.. So it probably is quite
                > different from the allegories you are thinking of. For instance, in the
                > beginning of the second chapter, he says this: "...you can start with an
                > immaterial fact, such as the passions which you actually experience, and can
                > then invent /visibilia /to express them......... this is allegory, and it is
                > with this alone that we have to deal." Like Erasmus's In Praise of Folly,
                > which came to mind as i was reading this excerpt. Though of course, the
                > courtly love allegory is in praise of that very specific form of love.

                Perhaps Lewis was quite "postmodern" about it. He clearly distinguishes
                between "writerly" and "readerly" allegories. Since the allegory of love is a
                study of allegory, rather than an allegory itself, it seems that it was
                mostly the second kind that people have found in his writing, and that he
                found in Tolkien's. Tolkien disliked allegory (I wonder if he read "The
                Faerie Queen" or "Animal Farm"), so I wonder what he would have made of
                Lewis's comment. Perhaps he didn't mind the "readerly" kind.

              • Richard Lyman
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 29, 2011
                  Tolkien may have duisliked allegory, but if there is no allegory about Death and Purgatory in "Leaf by Niggle",  there is certianly a very convincing imitatio of one.
                  Lewis's "The Pilgrim's Regress" is of course quite openoy allegorical.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 31, 2011
                    On 29 Oct 2011 at 15:45, Richard Lyman wrote:

                    > Tolkien may have duisliked allegory, but if there is no allegory about Death
                    > and Purgatory in "Leaf by Niggle",  there is certianly a very convincing
                    > imitatio of one. Lewis's "The Pilgrim's Regress" is of course quite openoy
                    > allegorical.

                    I don't think I've read "The pilgrim's regress"