CALL FOR PAPERS: Screening Classical Mythology on Film and Television

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16 11:53 PM
      This forum has been quiet of late, so when I saw this I thought it might be
      nice to posted here. Off-topic? Well, think of it in relation to "Till we
      have faces".

      From Theofantastique blog at:
      http://tinyurl.com/3w6zfg3

      CALL FOR PAPERS
      “MYTHOS: Screening Classical Mythology on Film and Television”
      An area of multiple panels for the Film & History Conference on “Film and
      Myth”
      September 26-30, 2012
      Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
      www.filmandhistory.org
      Deadline: June 1, 2012

      From the earliest beginning of cinema, and throughout the history of screen
      entertainment, filmmakers and television producers have returned to the
      narratives and images of classical mythology for subject matter and
      motivation. Numerous films and television series have been based on ancient
      Greek and Roman mythological and heroic archetypes (The Matrix; The Lion
      King), while others take classical literary plots and motifs from the great
      epics and tragedies and adapt them to the screen (A Dream of Passion; O
      Brother, Where Art Thou?). Some films and television series even set
      themselves in an imagined “ancient mythological world” full of gods, heroes,
      monsters and femmes fatales (Xena: Warrior Princess; Hercules: The Legendary
      Journeys). Why do the classical mythological narratives and images remain
      such a powerful source of ideas and inspiration for modern filmmakers and
      television producers?

      This area, comprising multiple panels, will treat all aspects of classical
      mythology in films and television programs. Papers may explore recreations of
      ancient myths in “real time” (Clash of the Titans; Xena; Hercules) or
      adaptations of classical myths and narratives in modern settings (Moulin
      Rouge; Unforgiven). Possible topics include, but are not limited to, the
      following:

      The Hero’s Journey
      Features and Creatures of the Underworld
      The Katabasis Myth of Descent and Return
      Greek Tragic Myths on Screen
      The Odyssey and the Nostos-Myth on Film
      Pandora and the Myth of the Manufactured Woman
      Homer’s Iliad and the American Western
      Myths of Transformation and Metamorphoses
      Amazons on Screen
      The Dionysian Nature of the Cinema
      The Orpheus Myth
      Olympian Gods in Modern Settings

      Proposals for complete panels (three related presentations) are also welcome,
      but they must include an abstract and contact information, including an e-
      mail address, for each presenter.

      Please e-mail your 200-word proposal by June 1, 2012:

      Monica S. Cyrino, Area Chair, 2012 Film & History Conference
      “MYTHOS: Screening Classical Mythology on Film and Television”
      University of New Mexico
      Email: pandora@...