Re: [eldil] Fantasy literature

  • Dan Drake
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2011
      On Jul 6, 2011, at 10:11 PM, Steve Hayes wrote:

      > There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The
      > Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often
      > engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an
      > emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the
      > real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.
      >
      > I saw that on Jeffrey Turner's sig in the alt.usage.english newsgroup. I
      > don't know if it was original with him, or an unattributed quotation from
      > someone else, but I liked it, so I thought I'd put it here.

      I believer I've seen it around for a year or so -- AHA. Google again is my friend:
      http://kfmonkey.blogspot.com/2009/03/ephemera-2009-7.html

      I believe, from what I'd seen and forgotten before, that this is the original.

      From the comments:

      Crawford Tillinghast said...
      ... No, actually the other book features orcs as the *villains*.

      --
      Dan Drake
      dd@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2011

        Atlas Shrugged?!  Change how?  Nightmares?  And I don't think the average 14 year-old would have a clue.

        Parents no longer start with the classic children's fantasy stories.  So there seems to be little background

        for judging the good and the unhelpful.  Narnia?  Most of my SS class kids never heard of it until the

        movies.  And of course the movies don't do justice to the moral aspects of the books.  Same for Tolkien.

        AJA