The devil rides out

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 18, 2007
      Yesterday I was browsing in a bookshop when I came across a copy of Dennis
      Wheatley's _The devil rides out_. I had read it a couple of times when I was
      at school and enjoyed it, and when I later read Charles Williams's War in
      heaven there were some parts that reminded me of Wheatley's book, and I often
      wished I could reread it and compare them, but outside the school library I
      never found a copy, so I was unable to do so.

      The devil rides out has now been reprinted by Wordsworth Editions, and I have
      begun rereading it.

      Dennis Wheatley was no Charles Williams. He wrote popular thrillers with the
      aim of making money, and wrote in different genres, like spy stories and
      supernatural thrillers. His books were probably more popular than those of
      Williams in his lifetime, but seemed much more ephemeral, though his
      supernatural thrillers may enjoy a revival of popularity to parallel those of
      people like H.P. Lovecraft.

      I haven't finished my rereading yet (after something like 50 years), but a
      couple of names mentioned stood out, like Nicholas Flamel, mentioned in the
      Harry Potter books, and according to this site, he really existed.

      The devil rides out, like War in heaven has a duke (through a French one
      rather than an English one) and someone who needs to be rescued from
      satanists. Also, both books were written at about the same time.

      Has anyone else read it?

      Any comments and comparisons with Williams?

      http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw
    • Clark Wilson
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 18, 2007
        --- In eldil@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@...> wrote:

        > Yesterday I was browsing in a bookshop when I came across a copy of
        > Dennis Wheatley's _The devil rides out_. I had read it a couple of
        > times when I was at school and enjoyed it, and when I later read
        > Charles Williams's War in heaven there were some parts that
        > reminded me of Wheatley's book, and I often wished I could reread
        > it and compare them, but outside the school library I never found
        > a copy, so I was unable to do so. The devil rides out has now
        > been reprinted by Wordsworth Editions, and I have begun rereading
        > it.

        On a whim I checked on Amazon USA and there are several Dennis
        Wheatley books available, including _The Devil Rides Out_. Perhaps
        others will want to read the book and comment.

        Clark, who has not read any Wheatley.
      • Richard Lyman
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 19, 2007
          Wheatley wrote an introduction to "War in Heaven"
          which shows he hadn't read it (or had totally misread
          it) - he thought Prester John a "satanic figure"!

          now.
          http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 19, 2007
            On 19 Nov 2007 at 10:12, Richard Lyman wrote:

            > Wheatley wrote an introduction to "War in Heaven"
            > which shows he hadn't read it (or had totally misread
            > it) - he thought Prester John a "satanic figure"!

            Interesting -- which edition was it in?

            I've now finished rereading it, and was pleasantly surprised, it was much
            better than I expected. I've found quite a lot of the books that I read in
            school were disappointing when read later. Some of them were very
            disappointing. But "The devil rides out" wasn't too bad.

            And the superficial similarities to "War in heaven" remain, though of course
            they are superficial -- "The devil rides out" is basically an action thriller
            where the "supernatural" side is largely background, and Wheatly's "theology"
            seems to be an eclectic mishmash of ideas in a kind of Manichaean dualist
            framework and a deus ex machina at the end.

            But I wondered if he had read "War in heaven" and nicked some of his ideas
            from it.

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 20, 2007
              I can't remeber the details of the edition of "War in
              heaven" to which Wheatley wrote his introduction, but
              it was in a paperback "Occult" series.

              Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint? Visit Yahoo! For Good http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/environment.html