RE: [eldil] A Canticle For Leibowitz

  • Ann Ahnemann
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010

      On 7 Dec 2010 at 12:18, Ann Ahnemann wrote:

      > CW, CSL and Tolkien particularly would have like this book.

      Indeed. I wonder if any of them ever read it. Williams died before it was
      written, but Lewis and Tolkien could have rea d it.

      I've read it three times now - in 1968, 1971 and 1995.

      A pity Miller only had one book in him. His "St Leibowitz and the Wild Horse
      Woman" is boring drivel.

      Steve Hayes

      Here's the story of Walter M. Miller Jr.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_M._Miller,_Jr.

      He committed suicide and the two posthumous novels were completed by Terry Bisson to decidedly underwhelming reviews. Rather stunning actually that Miller shot himself having read Canticle and knowing that Miller once was a devout Catholic.

      AJA

      _,___

    • Dan Drake
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
        On Dec 8, 2010, at 2:21 PM, Steve Hayes wrote:

        > On 7 Dec 2010 at 12:18, Ann Ahnemann wrote:
        >
        >> CW, CSL and Tolkien particularly would have like this book.
        >
        > Indeed. I wonder if any of them ever read it. Williams died before
        > it was
        > written, but Lewis and Tolkien could have rea d it.

        I have a fairly clear recollection of his saying he'd read it. It was,
        I think, in an interview in his college rooms (cheating here -- I
        don't recall whether it was Magdalen or Magdalene) with somebody
        associated with the Billy Graham organization; but in which book, I
        don't know. Must try to look this up.

        In any case, he said he had read it recently, and I think he'd found
        it interesting; but having read it only once, he had no decided
        opinion about it. Splendidly Lewisian, no?

        [I don't post enough here. I see my e-mail program suggests replacing
        "Tolkien" with Toluene". No, thank you. And remember this the next
        time, Mr. Dictionary.]

        --
        Dan Drake
        dd@...
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
          Oh, you've reminded me that I need to re-read the _On Stories_ collection! You're probably thinking of the last piece in there, an "informal conversation between Professor Lewis, Kingsley Amis, and Brian Aldiss [that] was recorded on tape in Professor Lewis's rooms in Magdalene College a short while before illness forced him to retire."

          Here's a bit of the conversation about science fiction:

          AMIS: On the debit side, you often have these marvellous large themes tackled by people who haven't got the mental or moral or stylistic equipment to take them on. A reading of more recent science-fiction shows that writers are getting more capable of tackling them. Have you read Walter Miller's _Canticle for Leibowitz_? Have you any comments on that?

          LEWIS: I thought it was pretty good. I only read it once; mind you, a book's no good to me until I've read it two or three times--I'm going to read it again. It was a major work, certainly.

          AMIS: What did you think about its religious feeling?

          LEWIS: It came across very well. There were bits of the actual writing which one could quarrel with, but on the whole it was well imagined and well executed.

          ~~~

          So, that was the relevant bit of the conversation, but I quite like this:

          LEWIS: Are you looking for an ashtray? Use the carpet.

          AMIS: I was looking for the Scotch, actually.

          > On Dec 8, 2010, at 2:21 PM, Steve Hayes wrote:
          >
          > > On 7 Dec 2010 at 12:18, Ann Ahnemann wrote:
          > >
          > >> CW, CSL and Tolkien particularly would have like
          > this book.
          > >
          > > Indeed. I wonder if any of them ever read it. Williams
          > died before
          > > it was
          > > written, but Lewis and Tolkien could have
          > rea    d it.
          >
          > I have a fairly clear recollection of his saying he'd read
          > it. It was,
          > I think, in an interview in his college rooms (cheating
          > here -- I
          > don't recall whether it was Magdalen or Magdalene) with
          > somebody
          > associated with the Billy Graham organization; but in which
          > book, I
          > don't know. Must try to look this up.
          >
          > In any case, he said he had read it recently, and I think
          > he'd found
          > it interesting; but having read it only once, he had no
          > decided
          > opinion about it. Splendidly Lewisian, no?
          >
          > [I don't post enough here. I see my e-mail program suggests
          > replacing
          > "Tolkien" with Toluene". No, thank you. And remember this
          > the next
          > time, Mr. Dictionary.]
          >
          > --
          > Dan Drake
          > dd@...
          > http://www.dandrake.com/index.html

          >     eldil-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • Ann Ahnemann
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
              On Dec 8, 2010, at 4:39 PM, Hummingwolf wrote:

              > Oh, you've reminded me that I need to re-read the _On Stories_
              > collection! You're probably thinking of the last piece in there, an
              > "informal conversation between Professor Lewis, Kingsley Amis, and
              > Brian Aldiss [that] was recorded on tape in Professor Lewis's rooms
              > in Magdalene College a short while before illness forced him to
              > retire."

              Thanks for filling that in, and with correct information. I read it a
              long time ago -- my only poor excuse for forgetting Amis and Aldiss!
              The Graham connection was just a question one of them asked, of
              course. And the ashtray is another good piece of Lewisismus.

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
                On Dec 8, 2010, at 4:52 PM, Ann Ahnemann wrote:

                > :) So good to see you here Dan. I miss the days of alt.books.cs-
                > lewis.

                Likewise! And my warmest Christmas greetings to you. (And to Steve and
                to the rest, of course)

                > Mary Ezzel (Bree) mail mooreffoc. Daryl Gene's email is changed,
                > but I get a card from him once in a great while. Joshua Burton.
                > David Porter passed away. I have books he sent me that he'd written.
                > _The Practical Christianity of Malcolm Muggeridge_ paperback. A
                > superb book based on interviews with Muggeridge, once a great
                > atheist, at his home. Anyway, if you know of anyone, living that
                > is, invite them here.!
                >
                > Not to turn this into Facebook, but if you or any others here are on
                > Facebook, look me up. I don't do much with it, but there are a few
                > pictures. And POST more often here! You have been missed. Thanks
                > to Steve for starting this group.

                A dedicated non-Facebooker here, but I may have to relent sooner or
                later.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
                    On 8 Dec 2010 at 16:39, Hummingwolf wrote:

                    > getting more capable of tackling them. Have you read Walter Miller's
                    > _Canticle for Leibowitz_? Have you any comments on that?
                    >
                    > LEWIS: I thought it was pretty good. I only read it once; mind you, a book's
                    > no good to me until I've read it two or three times--I'm going to read it
                    > again. It was a major work, certainly.
                    >
                    > AMIS: What did you think about its religious feeling?
                    >
                    > LEWIS: It came across very well. There were bits of the actual writing which
                    > one could quarrel with, but on the whole it was well imagined and well
                    > executed.

                    I love it when a literary critic of the stature of Lewis agrees with me!

                    At the time I first read it I was in semi-exile from a seemingly hopeless
                    political situation at home, where the forces of evil (the government)
                    seemingly had the uper hand and were invincible.

                    A friend wrote to me from home recommending it, and its apolalyptic theme
                    appealed to us both, with the hope that the church could endure to the end
                    and salvage something from the ashes.

                    Anmd for Westenr Christians, with the season 0of Advent, that is an
                    appropriate time of the year to read such things, and think mabout such
                    things.

                    I heard an Anglican bishop, Lawrence Zulu, preach on the Advent Hope in
                    Grahamstown Cathedral, and he said that the Advent hope was also the Advent
                    terror. He asked a rhetorical question: how can the same event be one of both
                    hope and terror. And gave the analogy: burglars have broken into a house,
                    tied up the householder and are ransacking the place. Flashing blue lights
                    and sirens herald the arrival of the police - hope for the householder,
                    terror for the burglars.

                    While I'm wittering about that, a group of us are having a synchroblog on
                    Advent, and anyone interested can read the various contributions. Mine is at:

                    http://khanya.wordpress.com/

                    and you can surf to the others from there.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
                      On 8 Dec 2010 at 18:32, Ann Ahnemann wrote:

                      > He committed suicide and the two posthumous novels were completed by Terry
                      > Bisson to decidedly underwhelming reviews. Rather stunning actually that
                      > Miller shot himself having read Canticle and knowing that Miller once was a
                      > devout Catholic.

                      The one I read was a decidedly underwhelming book.

                      Sad to learn that he committed suicide.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
                        On 8 Dec 2010 at 19:52, Ann Ahnemann wrote:

                        > :) So good to see you here Dan. I miss the days of alt.books.cs-lewis.

                        alt.books.cs-lewis is still there, as is alt.books.inklings, but I think that
                        I'm the only one who still posts in them. I sometimes crosspost to
                        rec.arts.books.tolkien, and so some of the replies get crossposted back.

                        But one of the reasons for stating this forum was that alt.books.inklings was
                        moribund, and alt.books.cs-lewis seemed to be heading that way. The fact that
                        some major ISPs were cutting newsfeeds from their service didn't help, of
                        course3, but to kill this forum they'd have to cut e-mail, and I don't see
                        that happening. I still think that their clients should ask for reduced fees
                        for the reduced service.

                        Web: http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/STEVESIG.HTM