Re: [eldil] No more SpareOom

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2010
      On 3 Dec 2010 at 12:48, Andrew Beussink wrote:

      > People I've run into always say they like Perelandra the best. I don't
      > really know which one would be my favorite; they're all so different, and I
      > appreciate each of them. Out of the Silent Planet might be my favorite simply
      > because it's more of a standard space adventure, and Lewis's creative
      > imagination shows though with the world and beings he creates on Malacandra.

      I read "Perelandra" first of the space trilogy, but liked it least.

      I liked "Out of the silent planet" more, though, perhaps because it had moral
      and political lessons that were more immediately politically relevant to me,
      yet without being moralistic or didactic. Lewis's description of Weston's
      conversation with the Oyarsa (Archon) of Malacandra is one of the hardest-
      hitting indictments of imperialism and colonialism that I have ever read. As
      I wrote on one of my web pages at:

      http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/LITERARY.HTM

      "towards the end there is a scene in which the protagonist, Ransom, is in a
      gathering with the Oyarsa (planetary ruler or tutelary deity) of Malacandra,
      and Weston and Devine, the mad scientist and the mad financier, are brought
      before the Oyarsa. Weston is a caricature, not only of a mad scientist, but
      also of colonialists and imperialists of the age in which Lewis wrote. He
      embarks on a defence of interplanetary imperialism, which has to be
      translated by Ransom, because neither Weston nor Devine have bothered to
      learn the language of Malacandra. Ransom has great difficulty in translating,
      because he has to explain human sin, which has not been experienced on
      Malacandra. Eventually the Oyarsa observes that he now sees what the "bent
      Oyarsa" of the silent planet (Earth) has done - he has taken something good -
      the love of kin - and twisted it to make it appear to be the supreme good."

      And that, of course, is precisely how the devil promoted apartheid.

      Ind it still applies in some ways, though people do not speak much in favour
      of apartheid any more, but some still rail against "multiculturalism" - yet
      Lewis shows hnau who differ not merely in culture but in appearance living in
      harmony.

      But I like "That hideous strength" even more, and it is closer to Charles
      Williams in style.

      Among Charles Williams's nooks most people seem to like "All Hallows Eve" or
      "Descent into Hell" the best, yet those are the ones I like the least. My
      favourite is "The place of the Lion", closely followed by "War in heaven" and
      "The Greater Trumps".

      > Till We Have Faces is my favorite book... I'd say it was better than Lord of
      > the Rings, and it's only in places of the Silmarillion does Tolkien match it.

      Of Lewis's books, I have to say I like "That hideous strength" the best.

      Web: http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/STEVESIG.HTM