Re: [eldil] Challenge: write a Charles Williams novel in November

  • SherryT
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 14, 2007
      >From: Steve Hayes <hayesstw@...>
      >Date: 2007/10/14 Sun AM 01:46:20 CDT
      >To: eldil@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [eldil] Challenge: write a Charles Williams novel in November

      >November is national (or international novel-writing month).
      >
      >Last year I challenged Inklings lovers to write a novel in the style of
      >Charles Williams.

      I failed you miserably last year, Steve. I wrote during NaNo like always but I have yet to finish reading -your- Year of the Dragon! Honest, I have a "reminder email" titled, "read Yr of Dragon" that I forward to myself once a month.

      I may actually have time to follow my own instructions RSN. I'm less sure about "winning" NaNo this year. Ironically, I've had the idea for my book, The Memory Well, for months now.

      To everyone else on the list, if you've never visited www.nanowrimo.org/ before, you really should! It doesn't matter if you've never written a word of fiction or if you've published a series. It's just fun! If you manage to average 1650 words a day, you "win" the NaNoWriMo certificate!

      30 days to write 50,000 words? That's fun? Well, it is if you can turn off your internal editor and just let yourself go. They have a book for sale on the site that encapsulates the right spirit, "No Plot? No Problem!"

      p.s. At the risk of upsetting our moderator, you could opt to write a Lewis or Geo MacDonald book--but I don't think Tolkien's slow, deliberate writing pace lends itself to NaNo.

      >Very few took up the challenge so perhaps it's time to reissue it. Charles
      >Williams isn't around to write any more novels, so those who enjoyed his
      >fiction will have to write their own.
      >
      >National novel writing month is a good spur to that:
      >
      >http://www.nanowrimo.org/
      >

      >--
      >Steve Hayes
      >E-mail: shayes@...
      >Web: http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/litmain.htm
      >http://methodius.blogspot.com

      ~~~~~~~~~
      Seabird will be available from Gryphonwood Press, Nov 2007.
      http://www.gryphonwoodpress.com/images/catalogueJune2007.pdf

      Fans of C.S. Lewis will love Sherry Thompson's novel. When Cara Marshall is transported to Narenta, she is proclaimed champion of its people against the sorcerous daemagos. Amid the grateful welcomes, Cara protests that she has been
      "world-napped," and wants neither her title nor her mission.
      "They've got the wrong person and they're going to get me killed because they won't admit it."
      With no knowledge of weapons or magic, can she save the Tethran kingdom and find her way home?

      Read a sample at: http://khivasmommy.googlepages.com/home
      ~~~~~~~~~