RE: [eldil] Films again

  • Ann Ahnemann
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2010

      The Hobbit is dark enough, actually.

      De: Andrew Beussink <elimas26@...>
      Para: eldil@yahoogroups.com
      Enviado: vie, diciembre 3, 2010 1:43:00 PM
      Asunto: Re: [eldil] Films again

      Somewhat related... I wonder how the movies for the Hobbit will turn out.  I worry that he will make them far more like LotR -- darker, deeper -- than The Hobbit really is.  While some people might prefer that, and people who aren't familiar with the books wouldn't understand such a change, I've always loved The Hobbit as it is.

      _

      I was not a fan of The Hobbit.  I didn't get the sense of relationship from the book.  Seemed silly.  I'll have to give it another go.  This list is catalyst, one could say!

      AJA

    • Ann Ahnemann
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2010

        I enjoyed the LOTR films enormously - in particuoar, they matched the places and scenery superbly. But trhe real weaknes was the stonishing change in Frodo. In the book he is - unexpectedly - tough ("the best hobbit in the Shire", Bilbo & Gandalf thought him). In the film, whenever he sees an enemy he drops his sword and lies on his back. The one exception is when he pushes Gollum over the brink, which of course he most certainly didn't do in the book.
        Richard Sturch.

        For me, the films depicted a most human Frodo.  Heartbreakingly so at times.  I don't know, and hestitate to say, but for this woman he was so very believable.