Re: [eldil] No more SpareOom

  • Andrew Beussink
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2010
      Overall, I do agree that the films were done very well.  The extended editions are better, I think.  The only issue I can think of is Faramir bringing Frodo and the ring to Osgiliath, which hurt the contrast between him and Boromir.  But as far as movie adaptations go, you can't hope for much of a better job than that.

      Here's a playlist for Colin Rudd: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C3C26014FA098A76&feature=bf-title

      Andrew
    • Ann Ahnemann
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2010

        Thanks for the link to Colin Rudd, Andrew.  Lovely; made my day.

        Here's a playlist for Colin Rudd: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C3C26014FA098A76&feature=bf-title

        By the way, how would you rate C. S. Lewis' Space Trilogy?  Certainly it is not as revered (if that is the word)

        worldwide as the Tolkien works.  But I think Perelandra is sublime.  I'd be interested in anyone's assessment of Lewis vis a vis Tolkien.

        AJA

      • Ann Ahnemann
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2010

          DRAT!  Today I can't get into Eldil!!

          Ann

          So here's what I posted (or would have had Eldil Yahoo Group been accessed):

          You may have seen reported on the news that an atheist organization has put up a large billboard at the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel in NYC that reads:  You know it's a myth.  This season celebrate REASON.

          A Catholic organization has recently retaliated with a billboard opposite which reads: You know it's read.  This season celebrate Jesus.

          When I first saw the original sign I said to myself, Of COURSE it's a myth.

          The word myth has morphed of course from the Greek 'mythos'. In Webster's that is  "a pattern of beliefs expressing often symbolically the characteristic or prevalent attitudes in a group or culture."

          I'm sure Steve could provide a better definition or meaning of the Greek word.  The word myth today most often in the secular world is used to mean an unfounded or false notion, a thing having only an imaginary existence.

          What is myth?  Persons who are here must know much about myth. The Inklings were masters of myth.  Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Silmarillion; C. S. Lewis' Til We Have Faces and his Space Trilogy, The Chronicles of Narnia; Charles Williams novels, The Place of the Lion, All Hallow's Eve, Descent Into Hell, The Greater Trumps, Many Dimensions, War in Heaven.

          A passed friend of the Inklings George MacDonald's works stand out as great myths:  Lilith, Phantastes and other stories.

          Has anyone read Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake?  Oh my word!! Titus Groan!!!

          --To be continued.  Ann Ahnemann

        • Andrew Beussink
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2010
            People I've run into always say they like Perelandra the best.  I don't really know which one would be my favorite; they're all so different, and I appreciate each of them.  Out of the Silent Planet might be my favorite simply because it's more of a standard space adventure, and Lewis's creative imagination shows though with the world and beings he creates on Malacandra.

            Till We Have Faces is my favorite book... I'd say it was better than Lord of the Rings, and it's only in places of the Silmarillion does Tolkien match it.

            Andrew
          • Ann Ahnemann
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2010

              Yes Perelandra.  And 'Til We Have Faces is sublime.  I'm still digesting Robert's myth post.  A great piece and I will respond later.

              I've got to get back to the Silmarillion.

              Now I'm reading Clarke's The City and the Stars.  Fabulous so far.  Reminds me of Charles Williams, Descent Into Hell maybe.  So much to talk about!

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2010
                On 3 Dec 2010 at 12:48, Andrew Beussink wrote:

                > People I've run into always say they like Perelandra the best. I don't
                > really know which one would be my favorite; they're all so different, and I
                > appreciate each of them. Out of the Silent Planet might be my favorite simply
                > because it's more of a standard space adventure, and Lewis's creative
                > imagination shows though with the world and beings he creates on Malacandra.

                I read "Perelandra" first of the space trilogy, but liked it least.

                I liked "Out of the silent planet" more, though, perhaps because it had moral
                and political lessons that were more immediately politically relevant to me,
                yet without being moralistic or didactic. Lewis's description of Weston's
                conversation with the Oyarsa (Archon) of Malacandra is one of the hardest-
                hitting indictments of imperialism and colonialism that I have ever read. As
                I wrote on one of my web pages at:

                http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/LITERARY.HTM

                "towards the end there is a scene in which the protagonist, Ransom, is in a
                gathering with the Oyarsa (planetary ruler or tutelary deity) of Malacandra,
                and Weston and Devine, the mad scientist and the mad financier, are brought
                before the Oyarsa. Weston is a caricature, not only of a mad scientist, but
                also of colonialists and imperialists of the age in which Lewis wrote. He
                embarks on a defence of interplanetary imperialism, which has to be
                translated by Ransom, because neither Weston nor Devine have bothered to
                learn the language of Malacandra. Ransom has great difficulty in translating,
                because he has to explain human sin, which has not been experienced on
                Malacandra. Eventually the Oyarsa observes that he now sees what the "bent
                Oyarsa" of the silent planet (Earth) has done - he has taken something good -
                the love of kin - and twisted it to make it appear to be the supreme good."

                And that, of course, is precisely how the devil promoted apartheid.

                Ind it still applies in some ways, though people do not speak much in favour
                of apartheid any more, but some still rail against "multiculturalism" - yet
                Lewis shows hnau who differ not merely in culture but in appearance living in
                harmony.

                But I like "That hideous strength" even more, and it is closer to Charles
                Williams in style.

                Among Charles Williams's nooks most people seem to like "All Hallows Eve" or
                "Descent into Hell" the best, yet those are the ones I like the least. My
                favourite is "The place of the Lion", closely followed by "War in heaven" and
                "The Greater Trumps".

                > Till We Have Faces is my favorite book... I'd say it was better than Lord of
                > the Rings, and it's only in places of the Silmarillion does Tolkien match it.

                Of Lewis's books, I have to say I like "That hideous strength" the best.

                Web: http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/STEVESIG.HTM