Re: [eldil] Vampirism in "Lilith"

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2010
      On 17 Nov 2010 at 13:36, Richard Lyman wrote:

      > I had chapter XIX ("the White Leech")in mind. The word "vampire" is not found,
      > but the idea of the bloodsucker certainly is. Richard Sturch.

      I've forgotten much of the story, so perhaps I'm misremembering, but I
      thought Lilith was not human.

      A vampire is essentially a revenant, a human corpse returned from the grave.
      I suppose zombies are revenants too, but I'm less sure about them, as they
      are from a different cultural milieu.

      In South Africa the word "zombie" is used for what is essentially an animated
      corpse, reanimated by a human being to serve their own purposes. They are
      undead, but do not really have any will of their own. I understand the
      concept of zombies came from the Caribbean, though it may have originally
      have reached there from Africa, and thus South African beliefs might not be
      all that different.

      I may crosspost this to the Nurel list (New Religious Movements), where John
      Morehead lurks and occasionally posts, since he is something of a fundi on
      zombies in literature.