Vampirism in "Lilith"

  • Richard Lyman
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2010
      I had chapter XIX ("the White Leech")in mind. The word "vampire" is not found, but the idea of the bloodsucker certainly is.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 17, 2010
        On 17 Nov 2010 at 13:36, Richard Lyman wrote:

        > I had chapter XIX ("the White Leech")in mind. The word "vampire" is not found,
        > but the idea of the bloodsucker certainly is. Richard Sturch.

        I've forgotten much of the story, so perhaps I'm misremembering, but I
        thought Lilith was not human.

        A vampire is essentially a revenant, a human corpse returned from the grave.
        I suppose zombies are revenants too, but I'm less sure about them, as they
        are from a different cultural milieu.

        In South Africa the word "zombie" is used for what is essentially an animated
        corpse, reanimated by a human being to serve their own purposes. They are
        undead, but do not really have any will of their own. I understand the
        concept of zombies came from the Caribbean, though it may have originally
        have reached there from Africa, and thus South African beliefs might not be
        all that different.

        I may crosspost this to the Nurel list (New Religious Movements), where John
        Morehead lurks and occasionally posts, since he is something of a fundi on
        zombies in literature.