Vampires in fiction and reality

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 17, 2010
      One of the things that I find quite interesting is the tendency among some
      people to develop religions based on fictional characters. Sometimes it is at
      least partly tongue-in-cheek, as, for example, the campaign to get people to
      enter their religion on census forms as "Jedi Knight". But others seem to be
      dead serious, as this post on John Morehead's blog shows:

      "One of the helpful features of Amazon.com is its “Customers Who Bought This
      Item Also Bought…” recommendations. In a quest for new research and
      discussion topics using this feature I came across a book by Mary Y. Hallab,
      titled Vampire God: The Allure of the Undead in Western Culture (SUNY Press,
      2009). I’m glad I discovered it. I read through a lot of materials for
      reflection and discussion, many good, some not so good. Hallab’s Vampire God
      is recommended for those interested in vampires, folklore, literature, and
      the frequently neglected connections of these topics to death and religion."

      In another post John mentioned "the vampire community" and referred to
      vampires as a "sub-culture".

      I don't think any of the Inklings wrote about vampires, though they may have
      mentioned them in passing, but I think some have had at least a tendency to
      believe that Hobbits are real, though I don't know of any active attempts to
      create a religion based on them.

      Has anyone come across anything like this, especially among the Inklings?

      I now fully expect to find a cult of blast-ended skrewts, accusing J.K.
      Rowling of maligning the skrewt community.