RE: [eldil] Vampires in fiction and reality

  • Ann Ahnemann
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 16, 2010

      I wrote:

      >I can't resist noting that one horrific icon is our Lord and

      > Savior dead or dying nailed to a cross run through fingers, hanging around
      > necks. It is images however venerated such as the Crucifix which feeds the
      > horror of death over life everlasting promised by Christ.
      Steve wrote:
      But that is the paradox of Christianity and the point of it. Christians took
      the symbol of a shameful and painful death, and made it a symbol of victory
      over death, so that we speak of "the honourable and life-giving cross".
      A:
      I understand the symbol of the sacrifice Jesus made for all.  But that is not a live Christ on the cross. It is

      a dead body.  Life giving cross?  Not in that symbol for me.  I'm reading The Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis De Montfort in the hope

      that I learn something of the loyalty to the Rosary.

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 17, 2010
        One of the things that I find quite interesting is the tendency among some
        people to develop religions based on fictional characters. Sometimes it is at
        least partly tongue-in-cheek, as, for example, the campaign to get people to
        enter their religion on census forms as "Jedi Knight". But others seem to be
        dead serious, as this post on John Morehead's blog shows:

        "One of the helpful features of Amazon.com is its “Customers Who Bought This
        Item Also Bought…” recommendations. In a quest for new research and
        discussion topics using this feature I came across a book by Mary Y. Hallab,
        titled Vampire God: The Allure of the Undead in Western Culture (SUNY Press,
        2009). I’m glad I discovered it. I read through a lot of materials for
        reflection and discussion, many good, some not so good. Hallab’s Vampire God
        is recommended for those interested in vampires, folklore, literature, and
        the frequently neglected connections of these topics to death and religion."

        In another post John mentioned "the vampire community" and referred to
        vampires as a "sub-culture".

        I don't think any of the Inklings wrote about vampires, though they may have
        mentioned them in passing, but I think some have had at least a tendency to
        believe that Hobbits are real, though I don't know of any active attempts to
        create a religion based on them.

        Has anyone come across anything like this, especially among the Inklings?

        I now fully expect to find a cult of blast-ended skrewts, accusing J.K.
        Rowling of maligning the skrewt community.