RE: [eldil] Vampires in fiction and reality

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 16, 2010
      On 16 Nov 2010 at 10:58, Ann Ahnemann wrote:

      > Great article as great informative. Christians need to do a better job on all
      > fronts. The undead??!! How horrific. What indeed would one do to be 'alive'
      > forever? Sucking the lifeblood of others? Seems that symbolically that is
      > happening on every front from business to taxation and everything in between.
      > The American culture at least is steeped in rotting blood suckers and not
      > those of the Dracula ilk. No stake or hanks of garlic will stop these
      > creatures who wear neat business clothes or sit in Congress or who go to
      > church every week and partake of Communion for that matter.

      Last Sunday the gospel reading in church was the so-called parable of the
      "Good Samaritan" (interesting bit of racial stereotyping, that). But actually
      it is about Jesus and the lawyer, and the lawyer asks what he must do to
      inherit eternal life.

      And that raises the question of what we mean by "eternal life".

      Long before I read "Dracula", when I was about 8 years old our school was
      taken to see some plays put on by another school. I've forgotten most of
      them, but one was memorable, and I've never forgotten it. It was called "The
      monkey's paw". If you know the plot, skip the next paragraph.

      If you don't know the plot, it's about a family that has a lucky monkey paw,
      which can be used to make three wishes. They wish for a lot of money, and
      there is a knock at the door, with someone from the factory where the son
      works, to say he has been killed in an industrial accident, but the firm will
      give compensation -- to the amount that they wished for. They are horrified,
      and decide they would rather have their son alive than the money and so they
      wish for his return. There is another knock at the door, and this time it is
      their son, horribly mutilated from the accident. They realise that that is
      not what they want either, and wish that he is dead again.

      And that is not eternal life that we read about in the gospels. And the
      original vampire folklore has the same theme. Vampires are not living, they
      are just undead.

      Stephen King's novel "Pet sematary" also has the same theme. He also wrote
      one on vampires, "'Salem's Lot", but that was merely derivative, a pale
      shadow of "Dracula".

      But there is something about vampires that appeals to Western society.
      Originally the undead were people you really didn't want to be around, and
      there were all sorts of devices to make sure they stayed in the grave. But
      they have been glamourised, and now there are even, I am told, "vegetarian
      vampires".

      > Americans it is noted have NEVER faced up to death and the meaning of death
      > and tangentially life or the meaning of life either. And the Church has done
      > little to help. I can't resist noting that one horrific icon is our Lord and
      > Savior dead or dying nailed to a cross run through fingers, hanging around
      > necks. It is images however venerated such as the Crucifix which feeds the
      > horror of death over life everlasting promised by Christ.

      But that is the paradox of Christianity and the point of it. Christians took
      the symbol of a shameful and painful death, and made it a symbol of victory
      over death, so that we speak of "the honourable and life-giving cross".

      > What think you all?
      >
      > AJA

    • Ann Ahnemann
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 16, 2010

        Steve wrote:
        But that is the paradox of Christianity and the point of it. Christians took
        the symbol of a shameful and painful death, and made it a symbol of victory
        over death, so that we speak of "the honourable and life-giving cross".
        A:
        I understand the symbol of the sacrifice Jesus made for all.  But that is not a live Christ on the cross. It is

        a dead body.  Life giving cross?  Not in that symbol for me.  I'm reading The Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis De Montfort in the hope

        that I learn something of the loyalty to the Rosary.