Images

  • Richard Lyman
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2010
      Well, it's s0me time since I read "Out of the Silent Planet", but I seem to recall sorns and pfifltriggi were described in some detail. Of course, it may be that i have simply imposed my images on the tect and "remebered" the latter accordingly.
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2010
        On 30 May 2010 at 7:14, Richard Lyman wrote:

        > Well, it's s0me time since I read "Out of the Silent Planet", but I seem to
        > recall sorns and pfifltriggi were described in some detail. Of course, it may
        > be that i have simply imposed my images on the tect and "remebered" the latter
        > accordingly. Richard Sturch.

        Yes, they were, and as no one has ever made a film of them there isn't really
        anything to mess with the pictures in one's head. I've never seen an
        illustrated edition of the books either.

        I suppose that if a film were to be made, it would be harder to produce
        something at variance from the book description, and also because Lewis's
        hnau were non-human. But hobbits resemble humans, and even where they don't,
        tghere is scope for variation -- I imagined the hairy feet as somehow having
        curly hair, rather than the straight bristles of the Soviet illustrated
        edition.

        And then there is the cultural difference between Russuan and English -- Russians seem to make less distinction between foot and leg than English-speaking people do. At least I remember reading that somewhere.