Images of hobbits

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2010
      What kind of pictures do you see in your mind when you read fantasy books by
      the Inklings and other authors? How do you picture sorns, or pfifltriggi, or
      hobbits.

      I recently posted some illustrations from a Soviet edition of "The hobbit" on
      my blog at:

      http://khanya.wordpress.com/2010/05/29/a-soviet-view-of-hobbits/

      with links to more.

      How do those pictures match with your mental image of hobbits while reading
      the books?

      Or did you see the "Lord of the rings" film before reading the books, and so
      have your image shaped by the film?

      And what does the way we picture hobbits tell about ourselves and our
      culture?

      Discussion welcome, either in the form of blog comments, or in this forum.