theology of the Imagination?? RE: [eldil] Re: Prester John

  • Malcolm
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 27, 2010
      Just connecting with theology and imagination from another angle, enacting poetic imagination rather than writing about it, Steve has suggested I post a link to a blog post in which I have posted a new sequence of four sonnets moving through a church from font to altar. The link is now duly poosted on this groups links page but heres a taster, the first (font) sonnet to see if its the kind of think you want to follow, this sonnet arises from the context of an Easter Baptism and also describes the fifteenth century 'angel' font in the church I serve:

      The Font

      Old stone angels hold aloft the font
      A wide womb, floating on the breath of God,
      Feathered with seraph wings, lit with the swift
      Bright lightening of praise, with thunder over-spread,
      And under-girded with their unheard song,
      Calling through water, fire, darkness, pain,
      Calling us to the life for which we long,
      Yearning to bring us to our birth again.

      Again the breath of God is on the waters
      In whose reflecting face our candles shine,
      Again he draws from death the sons and daughters
      For whom he bid the elements combine,
      As old stone angels round a font today
      Become the ones who roll the stone away.

      Malcolm

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 27, 2010
        On 27 Jan 2010 at 16:01, Malcolm wrote:

        > Just connecting with theology and imagination from another angle, enacting
        > poetic imagination rather than writing about it, Steve has suggested I post a
        > link to a blog post in which I have posted a new sequence of four sonnets
        > moving through a church from font to altar. The link is now duly poosted on
        > this groups links page but heres a taster, the first (font) sonnet to see if
        > its the kind of think you want to follow, this sonnet arises from the context
        > of an Easter Baptism and also describes the fifteenth century 'angel' font in
        > the church I serve:

        Malcolm,

        I think all four were very good.

        I've never been a great fan of the sonnet format, but after reading yours, i
        almost changed my mind. I'll have to re-read Herbert, but I think I like
        yours better.

        And thanks for doing it, because the aim of this group is not just to admire
        the Inklings, but to do what they did and share each other's writing, and
        comment on it.