RE: theology of the Imagination?? RE: [eldil] Re: Prester John

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 21, 2010
      On 21 Jan 2010 at 13:55, Ann Ahnemann wrote:

      > I would be most interested in your progress. Much has been written; there is
      > a lack of Theology of Imagination per se.

      I'm not sure about that.

      Quite a lot has been written about it, for example:

      http://tinyurl.com/ybur2l2

      (I hope the link works)

    • Ann Ahnemann
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 21, 2010

        On 21 Jan 2010 at 13:55, Ann Ahnemann wrote:

        > I would be most interested in your progress. Much has been written; there is
        > a lack of Theology of Imagination per se.

        I'm not sure about that.

        Quite a lot has been written about it, for example:

        http://tinyurl.com/ybur2l2

        (I hope the link works)

        Thanks, Steve,

        The link took me to the book, Philokalia.  Tell me something about it.  And I should have known Eastern Orthodox has much to say on the subject.  :))  EO has been a veritable fountain of spiritual nourishment.

        AJA

        _,___

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 22, 2010
          On 21 Jan 2010 at 21:55, Ann Ahnemann wrote:

          > http://tinyurl.com/ybur2l2
          >
          > (I hope the link works)
          >
          > Thanks, Steve,
          >
          > The link took me to the book, Philokalia. Tell me something about it. And I
          > should have known Eastern Orthodox has much to say on the subject. :)) EO has
          > been a veritable fountain of spiritual nourishment.

          The Philokalia is a collection of spiritual writings from various periods
          made by Makarios of Corinth and Nikodemos of the Holy Mountain a couple of
          hundred years ago. It was mainly intended for the guidance of monks, but
          there's a lot that Christians living in the world can find useful too.

          There's quite a lot in it about good and bad uses of the imagination
          (dianoia).

          .

        • Malcolm
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 22, 2010
            I was introduced to the Philokalia by my college chaplain when I became a Christian in 1979, it is a great source of wisdom, spiritual insight and renewal. Also good for humility, I have only to turn a few pages to be reminded how far I am from the real spiritual heights

            --- In eldil@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@...> wrote:

            > On 21 Jan 2010 at 21:55, Ann Ahnemann wrote:
            >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/ybur2l2
            > >
            > > (I hope the link works)
            > >
            > > Thanks, Steve,
            > >
            > > The link took me to the book, Philokalia. Tell me something about it. And I
            > > should have known Eastern Orthodox has much to say on the subject. :)) EO has
            > > been a veritable fountain of spiritual nourishment.
            >
            > The Philokalia is a collection of spiritual writings from various periods
            > made by Makarios of Corinth and Nikodemos of the Holy Mountain a couple of
            > hundred years ago. It was mainly intended for the guidance of monks, but
            > there's a lot that Christians living in the world can find useful too.
            >
            > There's quite a lot in it about good and bad uses of the imagination
            > (dianoia).
            >
            > .
            >

            > --
            > Steve Hayes
            > E-mail: shayes@...
            > Web: http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/litmain.htm
            > http://www.goodreads.com/hayesstw

          • Malcolm
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 27, 2010
              Just connecting with theology and imagination from another angle, enacting poetic imagination rather than writing about it, Steve has suggested I post a link to a blog post in which I have posted a new sequence of four sonnets moving through a church from font to altar. The link is now duly poosted on this groups links page but heres a taster, the first (font) sonnet to see if its the kind of think you want to follow, this sonnet arises from the context of an Easter Baptism and also describes the fifteenth century 'angel' font in the church I serve:

              The Font

              Old stone angels hold aloft the font
              A wide womb, floating on the breath of God,
              Feathered with seraph wings, lit with the swift
              Bright lightening of praise, with thunder over-spread,
              And under-girded with their unheard song,
              Calling through water, fire, darkness, pain,
              Calling us to the life for which we long,
              Yearning to bring us to our birth again.

              Again the breath of God is on the waters
              In whose reflecting face our candles shine,
              Again he draws from death the sons and daughters
              For whom he bid the elements combine,
              As old stone angels round a font today
              Become the ones who roll the stone away.

              Malcolm

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 27, 2010
                On 27 Jan 2010 at 16:01, Malcolm wrote:

                > Just connecting with theology and imagination from another angle, enacting
                > poetic imagination rather than writing about it, Steve has suggested I post a
                > link to a blog post in which I have posted a new sequence of four sonnets
                > moving through a church from font to altar. The link is now duly poosted on
                > this groups links page but heres a taster, the first (font) sonnet to see if
                > its the kind of think you want to follow, this sonnet arises from the context
                > of an Easter Baptism and also describes the fifteenth century 'angel' font in
                > the church I serve:

                Malcolm,

                I think all four were very good.

                I've never been a great fan of the sonnet format, but after reading yours, i
                almost changed my mind. I'll have to re-read Herbert, but I think I like
                yours better.

                And thanks for doing it, because the aim of this group is not just to admire
                the Inklings, but to do what they did and share each other's writing, and
                comment on it.