NaNoWriMo

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2009
      Is anyone in this forum planning to take part in National Novel-Writing Month
      (NaNoWriMo)?

      Three years ago I challenged people in Inklings forums to take part and try
      to write a novel of the same genre as Charles Williams.

      That's because I like Charles Williams's novels, and though he's dead and so
      can't write any more, I've hoped that others would write novels in the same
      genre, and Inklings fans would be among the people most likely to do that.

      For a while I hoped that Phil Rickman would develop into the kind of writer
      like Charles Williams, but the trend of his writing is now more towards
      conventional whodunits with a little ecclesiastical intrigue thrown in --
      Ruth Rendell meets Susan Howatch. My take on his latest book is at:

      http://khanya.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/recent-reading-to-dream-of-the-dead/

      I was thinking of reissuing the challenge this year, and taking part in
      NaNoWriMo myself, even though inspiration has been mostly absent, and I'm
      still trying to revise the one I wrote three years ago in answer to my own
      challenge.

      But I won't be able to do that this year, as something else has come up. A
      couple of years ago I was struck by the way in which the charismatic renewal
      movement had been written out of South African church history, to the extent
      that much of what was published was a distortion of history. I began to
      collect material with the idea of documenting some of the vanished and
      vanishing history, before everyone who remembered it was dead. Someone
      pointed out that a church historian had actually written something 25 years
      ago, but was told by colleagues that he would ruin his academic reputation if
      he published it. I managed to locate him, and he kindly sent me his
      unpublished MS, which I read, and found as gripping as a page-turner novel.
      But it also killed my project, because he had written the book I wanted to
      write. I'd simply be trying to reinvent the wheel.

      But then he suggested to me that I edit it and rewrite it, to bring it up to
      date and add my material, and that we try to find someone who will publish it
      under both our names. So that will keep me out of NaNoWriMo this year.

      But I still wish that someone will be moved to write something in the Charles
      Williams genre (which includes C.S. Lewis's "That hideous strength").

      If you have even the slightest urge in that direction, sign up with NaNoWriMo
      now and get writing!

      http://www.nanowrimo.org/

      .

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 28, 2010
        NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) begins on 1 November.

        Is anyone planning to participate?

        Is anyone planning to write a novel in the genre of Charles Williams (hope
        springs eternal)?