(Fwd) [coinherence-l] call for papers (CSL, CW etc.)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2009
      To: coinherence-l@yahoogroups.com
      From: Suzanne Bray <suzanneb303@...>
      Date sent: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 09:54:29 +0000 (GMT)
      Subject: [coinherence-l] call for papers (CSL, CW etc.)
      Send reply to: coinherence-l@yahoogroups.com

      Please forward this to anyone you know who may be interested.
      Thanks,
      Suzanne
      ***********************************
      Call for Papers
      C. S. Lewis, his Friends and Associates: Questions of Identity
      2 & 3 June 2011, Lille Catholic University, France.
      Although certain aspects of C. S. Lewis's work have been studied in great
      detail, others have been comparatively neglected. In this international
      conference, the first of its kind to be held in France, we hope to look at
      Lewis's life and work, and those of his friends and associates, from many
      different angles. Questions of identity are essential to the understanding of
      any writer. The ways authors perceive themselves and who they are, the
      communities they belong to by birth or choice, inevitably influence their
      work. The way they present other people, real or fictional, may also be
      rooted
      in their own conception of identity. We are therefore seeking for papers
      which
      examine gender and family roles, national, regional, racial or professional
      identities, membership of a particular church, movement or club, ideological
      or political attachments, descriptions of oneself (eg. dinosaur, Old Western
      Man) either with regard to Lewis and those who knew him or in a study of
      their
      writings. Among Lewis's friends and associates we would include his brother
      Warnie, his wife Joy, J.R.R.. Tolkien, Charles Williams, Dorothy L. Sayers,
      T.S. Eliot, Ruth Pitter and Owen Barfield, but would also consider studies of
      anyone who worked with Lewis or who influenced him. Comparative
      studies of Lewis and another writer are also possible.
      Please send propositions for papers (200 to 300 words) to Suzanne Bray
      (suzanne.bray@...) by June 15, 2010. Papers may be given in French
      or
      English. Academic Panel: David Downing (Elizabethtown College, Pennsylvania),
      William Gray (University of Chichester), Suzanne Bray (Lille Catholic
      University).