The company we keep

  • Methodius
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2009
      The Inklings shared a passionate concern for a rather unusual constellation of interests: Christianity, myth, imaginative literature, linguistics and history. However, within each of these interests they held very different points of view. The dynamism and, to some extent, the longevity of the group depended upon the dramatic tension between their common interests and their contrasting opinions. To say the Inklings were close friends despite their differences or to say they were effective collaborators despite their differences is to deny a fundamental truth: these connections are generally effective as a direct result of personal differences. In other words, these cooperative relationships thrive because of the ways in which opposites attract and then enhance one another.

      So writes Diana Pavlac Glyer in her book on the Inklings, "The company they keep".

      I wish I could find a group of people who shared that constellation of interests, and that we could meet once a week or even once a month, to discuss them, and our writing about them. But how does one find such a group of people within a reasonable radius that makes it feasible to get together even occasionally?

      Of course with the Internet we should be able to look further afield. If there are no people with similar interests in this town, then perhaps the next one, or the next country, or perhaps on another continent half a world away.

      Well, that's the theory behind this forum -- that we don't all have to live in the same town in order to discuss writing and the Inklings.

      But no one is saying very much.