Internet resources for book lovers

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2009
      For several years I've kept in touch with people who share similar literary
      interests by means of Usenet newsgroups and mailing lists. Now many ISPs are
      withdrawing their news service (it does require rather a lot of server space)
      and so traffic in the newsgroups has dropped off a lot, and I've lost contact
      with a lot of the people with whom I used to have interesting conversations
      in
      the newsgroups.

      I've found an alternative way of keeping in contact, through Good Reads,
      where
      you can find me at http://www.goodreads.com/hayesstw. But more on that later
      (see below).

      You can also read a slightly more detailed version of this post on my blog
      at:
      http://methodius.blogspot.com/2009/06/books-and-reading.html
      where there are more clickable links.

      For those who have suffered the fate of losing access to newsgroups, there is
      a free news server at http://news.eternal-september.org where you can
      subscribe to the various newsgroups.

      My favourite newsgroups for books and reading are:

      * alt.books.cs-lewis
      * alt.books.inklings
      * alt.books.beatgeneration
      * rec.arts.books.tolkien

      The Tolkien group still thrives, but the others have almost emptied of
      participants since some of the major ISPs stopped their nntp service.

      There are also other newsgroups that are (or were) useful for those who like
      books and reading:

      * rec.arts.books
      * rec.arts.books.childrens
      * alt.usage.english

      Most of the better-informed participants in rec.arts.books took themselves
      off
      to a Facebook group called The Prancing Half-Wits, but the Facebook interface
      is clunky, and does not lend itself to interactive discussions the way
      newsgroups do. alt.usage.english continues to thrive, perhaps because many of
      the participants are a bit more computer-savvy than most, and know how to
      connect to alternative news sources.

      For those interested in the Inklings (C.S. Lewis, Charles Williams, J.R.R.
      Tolkien & Co) I've started a mailing list called Neo-Inklings, which you can
      find at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eldil/. To subscribe to it, send e-mail
      to eldil-subscribe@yahoogroups.com, but it is worth also visiting the web
      site, as there are facilities for uploading files and photos, creating polls
      and databases and more. I've invited some of the former members of the
      alt.books.cs-lewis newsgroup to join us there. For those interested mainly in
      the works of Charles Williams rather than the other Inklings, there is a
      Charles Williams list called Coinherence-L.

      There are also several web sites for book lovers to keep track of their books
      and make contact with others with similar interests. Three of the best-known
      are Bibliophil, LibraryThing and Good Reads. For various reasons I prefer
      Good
      Reads.

      Good Reads

      GoodReads is a combination of a book catalogue and a social networking site
      for books, and I think it works better than the others.

      Like most social networking sites, you can add people as "friends", but in
      many social networks this is rendered useless by people wanting to add you as
      a "friend" when they don't know you, don't want to know you, share no common
      interests with you and you've never heard of them. It's a bit like regarding
      everyone in the phone book as a "friend" -- if everyone is your friend, then
      no one is.

      But Good Reads provides a good way of seeing whether someone is likely to be
      your friend.

      First you need to join, and enter some of the books that you have in your
      library or have read, starting with your favourites, but you can also add a
      few books that you really hate. Like other such sites, you are asked to rate
      and review them. When you've entered those books and rated them (with 1-5
      stars), then you can look for friends. Find someone who owns some of your
      favourite books, look at their profile and click "compare books".

      There you can see if they've read your favourite books, and what they think
      of
      them. It's expressed as a percentage. For example, with one of my friends
      (who
      sometimes reads my blog), it produced this result:

      You and booklady have 21 books (or 7.27% of your library and 2.07% of her
      library) in common. Your tastes for those 21 ratings are 78% similar.

      If it's over 70%, go to the next step, which is the "book compatibility
      test".
      This compares your ratings of some popular books in various genres, or if
      you've even read them. In this case my result was "Your compatibility with
      booklady is 63%."

      If you have read some of those popular books, but haven't entered them and
      rated them, then do so, because it will make future comparisons easier.

      So Good Reads is a good way to find and keep in touch with those with similar
      literary tastes.