Re: [eldil] fiction by barfield? eager spring, night operation

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009
      On 15 Apr 2009 at 18:37, Andrew Beussink wrote:

      > I've never heard of these two works ("Eager Spring" and "Night Operation") but
      > they're bibliography on the Owen Barfield Society webpage, so I guess they're
      > legitimate. Anyone else heard of them or read them?

      I hadn't heard of them -- I'll see if I can find them in a library.

      http://methodius.blogspot.com
    • Malcolm
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 21, 2010
        I have read both these books and posess copies. They have been brought out by Barfield's grandson (also called OPwen Barfield) with whom I am in touch and they are very good, a third one "The Rose on the Ash heap is now available and I am just reading it.
        --- In eldil@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Beussink <abeussink@...> wrote:

        > I've never heard of these two works ("Eager Spring" and "Night Operation")
        > but they're bibliography on the Owen Barfield Society webpage, so I guess
        > they're legitimate. Anyone else heard of them or read them?

      • Andrew Beussink
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 21, 2010
          Oh, I didn't know anything about this yet!  Thank you for pointing it out.  I think I've read somewhere that his novel "English People" might be published.  Do you know anything about that?

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 21, 2010
            Yes. Rose on the Ash-heap is a little novella which in fact forms part of English People. He has brought that out first and intends to bring the whole novel out some time next year. The publisher in Barfield Press Uk and the website is www.owenbarfield.org but the site seems to be down at the moment. Of the three so far I think Night Operation is the best, a thrilling re-making of Plato's myth of the cave in a futuristic setting which contains amongst other things a fine account of his friendship with Lewis. Eager Spring is also full of modern relevance and is about an eco-warrior!