      To: eldil@yahoogroups.com
      From: yahoo@...
      Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 19:22:25 -0800
      Subject: [eldil] Tolkien in taxonomy

      Rather far from the literature and a bit frivolous, this, but I just found out about an animal with a formal scientific name taken from a character in The Hobbit.

      This would be "Beorn leggi", a tardigrade (or water bear!) found as a fossil in Canada. The "leggi" is from the name of a student of the discoverer.

      There may be other Tolkien names in biology, but I haven't heard of them. Has anyone?

      BTW, if one has any interest in biology, and especially in extreme biology, tardigrades are amazing creatures and I recommend the Wikipedia article, in which I found this reference. Teaser: they can survive a few minutes in boiling water, and days in the vacuum of space or at the bottom of the ocean, not to mention up to 10 years of dehydration. I am not making this up.

      --
      Dan Drake
      dd@...

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic