254Re: [eldil] Fantasy literature

  • Dan Drake
    Jul 6, 2011
      On Jul 6, 2011, at 10:11 PM, Steve Hayes wrote:

      > There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The
      > Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often
      > engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an
      > emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the
      > real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.
      >
      > I saw that on Jeffrey Turner's sig in the alt.usage.english newsgroup. I
      > don't know if it was original with him, or an unattributed quotation from
      > someone else, but I liked it, so I thought I'd put it here.

      I believer I've seen it around for a year or so -- AHA. Google again is my friend:
      http://kfmonkey.blogspot.com/2009/03/ephemera-2009-7.html

      I believe, from what I'd seen and forgotten before, that this is the original.

      From the comments:

      Crawford Tillinghast said...
      ... No, actually the other book features orcs as the *villains*.

      --
      Dan Drake
      dd@...