253Fantasy literature

    Jul 6, 2011
      There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The
      Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often
      engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an
      emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the
      real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

      I saw that on Jeffrey Turner's sig in the alt.usage.english newsgroup. I
      don't know if it was original with him, or an unattributed quotation from
      someone else, but I liked it, so I thought I'd put it here.