another newbie :)

  • Joelle
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2009
      Hi everyone. I'm Joelle, homeschooling my 10 year old in mid Michigan. Not surprisingly with our interests & attitudes (religious, political and otherwise) we don't fit in very well in our super conservative town, especially the local homeschooling community.
      I've been interested in various non-mainstream since I was a teenager. Just recently with my son's interest in Wicca and my involvement of a CUUPS (Covenant of Unitarian Universalist Pagans) at my UU fellowship, I've been felt drawn back into paganism (from New Thought), specifically into Norse heathenism and Asatru.
      I'm really interested in trying to do unit studies around the great festivals for the year, but I'm not sure how to go about it. We use Sonlight curriculum because I love the books and the fact that I don't have to do much planning (except sometimes adding in or leaving out books based on various issues); I found when I was trying to do unit studies using "Five in a Row" that the planning got so out of control that I drove myself crazy and my partner was threatening to send my son to public school if I didn't find a way to homeschool that wouldn't lead me into burnout.

      Joelle
    • Joelle O'Bryan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2009
        Carrie, I'm in Midland, just about 1.5hr away from you. Just noticed, you're also about the same distance, maybe a little closer to Grand Rapids. The homeschooling group in Grand Rapids is pretty open; when I got kicked out of the local so-called "inclusive" homeschool group, a UU homeschooler from Grand Rapids mentioned the GR group as one that I might be able to do things like camping with. Maybe they'd work for you.

        love & light

        Joelle