Nicole Foss: The Great Recession, Energy Depletion, and Political Turmoil at Goodman TONIGHT

  • Michael D. Barrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2012
      Nicole Foss will be speaking tonight at 7 at the Goodman (details below). She is quite an interesting speaker. I heard her speak when she was here back in 2010. Her thinking is amazing--bringing together economics, social relations, and the natural/physical world in one very all-encompassing view. She is very good at demonstrating--jargon-free--the physical/energy resource limits we are up against on this earth. But it isn't all doom & gloom. She has a somewhat hopeful outlook for those willing to move away from the wasteful consumption habits. (Heads up permaculturists & local community-builders!)

      And for whatever it is worth, this talk will go a very long way toward explaining why some of us have been fighting for decades for sustainable ways of getting around, land use patterns that are amenable to walking, biking and transit (i.e., community) and hyper-energy efficiency in our buildings. Given all of the paving, parking & inefficient buildings going in all over the place right now, we're going to be seeing a lot of what they call stranded capital in the not-too-distant future.