Re: [SASYNA-Discussions] Re: Council agenda items of interest - public market???

  • Bill Scanlon
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2011
      I couldn't agree more!

      Now is NOT the time for a "public market" project.

      Once - perhaps many, many years from now - we manage to get rid of Koch-snorting Walker and his ilk, his worthless and apparently brainless Koch GOP/Teabag toadies controlling the Legislature and Supremem Court, and recover the assessed values of our houses that will be as decimated as our schools, social services, small businesses, parks, support for arts. and most of our paychecks by these brute  forces of greed and anti-community, then we can responsibly start thinking about a "public market."

      Bill

      On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 8:50 PM, cadebevec <cdebevec@...> wrote:
      MARSHA & all,

      In addition to the aforementioned parking issue...

      Why are you (we) wanting to spend $$$ on this public market at this time???  Please - cease and desist!

      Whether or not the republican senators/gov is recalled, whether or not the debt ceiling is lifted, whether or not the gov's ban on local govts raising their own revenue is lifted ... there is STILL bound to be sharp cuts in state and local aids & we literally may be struggling to keep schools going and busses running.   A lot of us are facing in effect 8-10% paycuts which in turn will affect local restaurants and other businesses, which in turn will affect ALL OF OUR ability to absorb increases in our already high property taxes.

      It is truly worrying to me that so many of our local leaders are still in such a state of denial instead of applying creativity and resourcefulness and thinking in terms of contingency planning.  NO, IT IS NOT that we're turning into Republicans if we want to forgo unnecessary spending (as someone insulted me on another forum).  There will come a time to "borrow and spend" again or better yet hopefully we can get the taxation of the very wealthy & corporates back to some degree of sanity - lets reconsider it then.

      BTW - this market was one more thing (out of a long listof things) originally proposed for EAST WASH but then not followed through.   The explanation I heard for why it was rejected it was because it was supposedly TOO FAR from the top of State St.  Which is a total lie, because if you look at the map, that Brayton parking lot is the exact same distance as the one on Doty St - 5 blocks!

      We need some really strong advocacy for the east side please...  Those west siders who are afraid to set foot east of Pinckney St. really do need to get over it!

      THANK YOU>>>>>>>>>>>>>

      Cathy

      --- In SASYNA-Discussions@yahoogroups.com, tim wong <twong48@...> wrote:

      > I strongly oppose any cooperation with Common Wealth until it renounces its
      > planet-hating, pro-car, pro-parking policies in collaboration with the other
      > planet hater in the 6th district, Olbrich Gardens.  Until these people start
      > understanding how these reprehensible policies (not sharing the parking
      > (OG), proposing such excessive parking for the so-called "incubation arts"
      > thing at Garver, they should be cut out of the action.
      >
      > On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 12:08 AM, Rummel, Marsha <district6@...
      > > wrote:
      >

      > > *
      > >
      > > http://www.cityofmadison.com/clerk/documents/Agenda.pdf
      > >

      > > 44.
      > > 21806 *Authorizing the execution of a maintenance agreement with the
      > > Marquette
      > >
      > > Neighborhood Association for an area of decorative landscaping, to be
      > > located
      > >
      > > in the public right-of-way at the south quadrant of the intersection of
      > > Eastwood
      > >
      > > Drive and South First Street.
      > > *
      > >
      > > Sponsors:
      > > *Marsha A. Rummel *
      > >

      > > RECONSIDERATION
      > >
      > > 75.
      > > 21804 *Authorizing the Mayor and City Clerk to enter into an agreement
      > > with Common
      > >
      > > Wealth Development, Inc., to provide $250,000 in for the preparation of a
      > >
      > > detailed business plan; fundraising plan and strategy; organization plan;
      > > select
      > >
      > > design/rendering services; outreach, project management, and other
      > >
      > > pre-development expenses associated with the development of the Madison
      > >
      > > Public Market.
      > > *
      > >
      > > Sponsors:
      > > *Marsha A. Rummel *
      > >
      > > Legislative History
      > > *

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         SASYNA-Discussions-digest@yahoogroups.com
         SASYNA-Discussions-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • peterbradley tds.net
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2011
        The $250,000. is for planning of the public market.  It is not for building the public market now.  The City is spending a great deal more money on improving Packers Ave./Northport and on Williamson and other road construction projects.

        So, save your complaining about the State, Federal and local budgets.  This sounds like a planning grant.  It is a great idea for the East Side.  So, save your complaining about the Kochs, Walkers, etc. for another appropriate forum.

        Peter Bradley

      • john steines
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2011
          bravo

          On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:35 AM, peterbradley tds.net <peterbradley@...> wrote:

> [...]

          > > Neighborhood Association for an area of decorative landscaping, to be
          > > located
          > >
          > > in the public right-of-way at the south quadrant of the intersection of
          > > Eastwood
          > >
          > > Drive and South First Street.
          > > *
          > >
          > > Sponsors:
          > > *Marsha A. Rummel *
          > >

          > > RECONSIDERATION
          > >
          > > 75.
          > > 21804 *Authorizing the Mayor and City Clerk to enter into an agreement
          > > with Common
          > >
          > > Wealth Development, Inc., to provide $250,000 in for the preparation of a
          > >
          > > detailed business plan; fundraising plan and strategy; organization plan;
          > > select
          > >
          > > design/rendering services; outreach, project management, and other
          > >
          > > pre-development expenses associated with the development of the Madison

        • Michael D. Barrett
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2011
            Putting the cost of a public market in context with pavement expansion couldn't come at a more critical juncture:

            > On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:35 AM, peterbradley tds.net <peterbradley@...> wrote:
            >>

            >> The $250,000. is for planning of the public market.  It is not for building the public market now.  The City is spending a great deal more money on improving Packers Ave./Northport and on Williamson and other road construction projects.

            The problem is, highway building, parking lot expansions and other car-oriented developments typically get couched in geologic terms. That it just happens. We have no choice in the matter. It is inevitable.

            Well, paving expansion is not pre-destiny. It is a conscious choice. And tonight, at council, our alders and the mayor will be considering several major highway and other paving expansions in it's annual  "Transportation 'Improvement' Plan" review (sub-quotes are mine). Discussion will occur and decisions will be made (in the form of a vote). No one will hold a gun to anyone's head to vote one way or another. It will be a matter of free will.

            So consider this little insight sent to me from a neighbor:

            "Tuesday May 3 5:30 PM City Council Discussion of“Transportation Improvement Plan 2012-2017.” (pdf). (Actual TIP schedule here in pdf.) Why should a government body use the word ‘Transportation’ as cover for Road Building? It’s one thing for the Road Builders to use it. It’s clever, actually. To change your name from the “Road Builders” to the “Transportation Builders” it appears to furnish much broader cover for your interests. But if 99.4% of what will be discussed Tuesday is paving, shouldn’t it be listed as Council Discussion of Paving?"

            And let's not forget the loaded term "Improvement." Um, improvement for whom? The paving expansions are certainly not improvements for people who breathe. Or who don't like wars. Or who like clean drinking water. Or who like neighborly communities.

            As for how this affects the eastside, consider the expansion of Cottage Grove Road from 2 lanes to a 4-lane divided highway from I-90 east to Sprecher Rd. (for now). This is a $7,500,000.00 gift, from Madison taxpayers to exurban Cottage Grove Republicans.

            These sorts of car-only investments in transportation are happening 360 degrees around Madison's fringes.

            By hardwiring us into an automobiling, energy-intensive future, it is also a gift to the Koch Brothers ($100b oil industry co.) and the Wisconsin Pavers--both among the largest donors to their puppet, Scott Walker and state Republican legislators. It is no coincidence that money originally intended for schools is now going to support highway expansions across the state.

            And that isn't the only way we lose. Guess where that extra traffic generated on Cottage Grove Rd. ends up? Yup, right through our neighborhood.  It doesn't just magically disappear, once it crosses west of the interstate. (Here is an explanation of how road expansions induce unnecessary traffic (pdf.))

            We know what we've already lost. By voluntarily continuing the paving spree, we only strengthen those who will grind us ever downward.

            Unfortunately, we have yet to get any help from our own alder(s) on this front.

            I hope that at some point they might recognize how destructive -- politically, economically, and environmentally-- their support for pavement expansions is for Madison as a city, each of our neighborhoods, and each of us, individually.

            I really hope.....

            -Mike

          • Ted Voth Jr
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2011
              Save your complaints about citizens' complaints.

              The main problem with this– former?– Republic is that no one talks  about politics.

              I was gonna say 'If you don't like living in a republic, leave.'

              But on further thought, I'll just say 'If you don't like living in a republic, wait a little while.'

              With all due respect…

              TV2

              --
              Jesus is Lord.

              Ted Voth Jr,
              tedvothjr@...
              1335 Williamson #2
              Madison Wisconsin 53703
              (608) 257-1799

            • Bill Scanlon
              Message 6 of 7 , May 3, 2011
                Whether the "public market" is good for the East Side or not is irrelevant.

                Planning for this thing should not be funded at this time.

                There are many other things of much higher priority that we must fund for our community than "planning" for something we are not going to be able to afford in the foreseeable future anyway, because of Walker and his toadies' filthy greed-motivated fiscal rape of Wisconsin and all its communities, especially Madison.

                And I also do not think we should be financing road construction now.

                Bill

              • Daniel Cornelius
                Message 7 of 7 , May 3, 2011
                  Rather than spending $250,000 planning a project that may never happen, wouldn't it make more sense to put the money into a site in an existing building?  The SW corner of the US Bank Building that is currently office cubicles (next to L'Etoile and Graze) seems like a great possibility with it's wall-to-ceiling glass and awesome location.  The building's owner, ULI, would probably kick in much of the renovation costs and we'd then have a public market right on the square with great views of the Capitol.

                  Dan Cornelius