opportunities

  • roots@eastisthmus.org
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2008

      From: Pamela Hathaway [mailto:hathaway@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:56 PM
      To: einpc@yahoogroups.com

      Dear Eastsiders,

      Have you thought about representing you community or neighborhood based organization on the Eastside Community CouncilAttached you'll find the nomination form to review and complete if you would like to express your interest.  Some neighborhoods could use a co-rep or alternate and others need a primary rep.  Just complete and provide to Chair Mark Bergum at roots@...

      And, the next regularly scheduled Eastside Council meeting is taking place this week.  As always, these meetings are open to all.  If you'd like to be involved more closely with the efforts, join us!  Agenda attached.

      The Thursday meeting will be my last ECC meeting as I will be moving to Canada in August.  The decision to leave Madison is difficult; and the only option for me to be able to live with my partner legally (she is not a citizen).  I have many of you to thank for your leadership, teachings and postive energy while working together over 10 years in Madison neighborhoods.  As painful as it is to go, this is a great reflection of how wonderful Madison is a place to live, work and play.  Thank you!

      The organization, EINPC, will continue to be in the care of the volunteer community leaders.  In lieu of a full time staff person, they'll have the support of partner organizations, an experienced short-term part-time contractor Aug-Dec, and those of you who step up to take on leadership roles coordinating and volunteering in various capacities.  Should you have questions or wish to know more, try to come out to the Thursday meeting and/or contact Board Chair Mark Bergum at  roots@... (directly mark_bergum@... and 442-6796).  Regarding hiring of a new staff person - the leadership is wisely waiting the outcome of the city budget decision making process before offering the position to a top candidate.  A hiring process has been created and will be set to move as soon as the leadership is ready.  For more information on the hiring, contact Rep Dace Zeps at dzeps@....  When the group is ready an announcement to invite applicants will be posted on this list.

      An important funder for EINPC is the City's Community Services Department.  The Board of Estimates and Common Council will need to hear your voices in the next few months if you value the continuation of the work of EINPC.  Mark your calendars to attend critical budget meetings and contact your eastside Alders.  Meetings are the evenings of 10/13 (BOE), 10/28 & 11/11 (Common Council). If you can attend to register or speak in support of funding, please let Board Chair Mark know at roots@....  Another important funder to EINPC has been MGE - steadfast and reliable.  The heart of EINPC's funding is from all the small business, family and individual donations many of you have given.  We have been proud to receive special project funding from our local MWadison Community Foundation too.

      Plans remain to organize the Budget Assembly with Alders and Eastside neighborhoods Thursday, August 28 5:30/6:00 and the Eastside Community Forum Thursday October 29 5:30/6:00 pm. Groups and Leaders are needed to coordinate the following for each:

      Host (space, sign in, set up, clean up)

      Press &  Follow up

      Hospitality (food/drinks)

      Alders’ point of contact

      Issues Agenda

      Budget process & content tracking

      Turn out – checking in w/ fellow reps

      Sponsorships for forum

      Display/Info Tables for forum

      Door Prize donations for forum

      Other PR/promotion

      The work of strengthening and uniting east Madison neighborhoods goes on and continues to be led by community leaders including you!  Bring your skills and strengths to the table - you are welcome!  I am excited and positive about your future working together.  Community organizing and coalition building is more important in this divisive political climate and economic crisis than ever.  In my time here in Madison doing both social work and organizing, one thing I've learned is that the value of education, direct social services and basic city services are critical, but dangerous without precious support for civic engagement and strong local democracy.

      Very best, Pam

      Pamela Hathaway

      Staff/Community Organizer & ED

      East Isthmus Neighborhoods Planning Council

      1321 E. Mifflin St. #201/ 53703

      204-0834 fax 204-0835  http://eastisthmus.org

      Uniting and strengthening east Madison neighborhoods

    • roots@eastisthmus.org
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2008
        FYI - got stuck in my outbox and I didn't notice until now - apologies for the terribly late reminder about ECC meeting tonight...

        Have you thought about representing you community or neighborhood based organization on the Eastside Community CouncilAttached you'll find the nomination form to review and complete if you would like to express your interest.  Some neighborhoods could use a co-rep or alternate and others need a primary rep.  Just complete and provide to Chair Mark Bergum at roots@eastisthmus. org

        And, the next regularly scheduled Eastside Council meeting is taking place this week.  As always, these meetings are open to all.  If you'd like to be involved more closely with the efforts, join us!  Agenda attached.

        The Thursday meeting will be my last ECC meeting as I will be moving to Canada in August.  The decision to leave Madison is difficult; and the only option for me to be able to live with my partner legally (she is not a citizen).  I have many of you to thank for your leadership, teachings and postive energy while working together over 10 years in Madison neighborhoods.  As painful as it is to go, this is a great reflection of how wonderful Madison is a place to live, work and play.  Thank you!

        The organization, EINPC, will continue to be in the care of the volunteer community leaders.  In lieu of a full time staff person, they'll have the support of partner organizations, an experienced short-term part-time contractor Aug-Dec, and those of you who step up to take on leadership roles coordinating and volunteering in various capacities.  Should you have questions or wish to know more, try to come out to the Thursday meeting and/or contact Board Chair Mark Bergum at  roots@eastisthmus. org (directly mark_bergum@ yahoo.com and 442-6796).  Regarding hiring of a new staff person - the leadership is wisely waiting the outcome of the city budget decision making process before offering the position to a top candidate.  A hiring process has been created and will be set to move as soon as the leadership is ready.  For more information on the hiring, contact Rep Dace Zeps at dzeps@sbcglobal. net.  When the group is ready an announcement to invite applicants will be posted on this list.

        An important funder for EINPC is the City's Community Services Department.  The Board of Estimates and Common Council will need to hear your voices in the next few months if you value the continuation of the work of EINPC.  Mark your calendars to attend critical budget meetings and contact your eastside Alders.  Meetings are the evenings of 10/13 (BOE), 10/28 & 11/11 (Common Council). If you can attend to register or speak in support of funding, please let Board Chair Mark know at roots@eastisthmus. org.  Another important funder to EINPC has been MGE - steadfast and reliable.  The heart of EINPC's funding is from all the small business, family and individual donations many of you have given.  We have been proud to receive special project funding from our local MWadison Community Foundation too.