JOIN 1000 FRIENDS ON THURSDAY APRIL 12th, 2001

  • Michael D. Barrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2001
      JOIN 1000 FRIENDS ON THURSDAY APRIL 12th, 2001
      Good stuff put on by the good guys in the fight on sprawl & redeveloping our urban neighborhoods.  I'll add that there is the sprawl-fighting Badger Bus option, which I'll be taking from here in Madison.
      -Mike Barrett

      JOIN 1000 FRIENDS ON THURSDAY APRIL 12th, 2001
      10:30 am to 4:15 pm
      MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY, MILWAUKEE
      Alumni Memorial Union
      1442 West Wisconsin Avenue
      5th Annual Meeting & Conference

      Historically, environmental protection has focused directly on the resources at stake: the lakes, rivers, hills, wetlands and forests that we want to protect.  1000 Friends suggests a complementary way to reach the same protection goals -- improve the quality of life in our cities and in doing so, decrease the pressures to develop the countryside.
      1000 Friends’ 5th Annual Conference will focus on cities and some exciting projects taking place in downtown Milwaukee. The morning presentation will synopsize the work of both the research/education and policy arms of 1000 Friends, followed by lunch and three concurrent afternoon sessions (two bus tours!) highlighting:
      The Menomonee Valley Redevelopment Project -- An innovative brownfield redevelopment project.
      The Park East Freeway Spur Development Project -- See how tearing down a highway can contribute to building a sense of community.
      "Smart Growth" Neighborhood Planning Initiatives -- The new law doesn't address neighborhood planning, but this is the most basic building block of planning; learn how to address neighborhood planning.
      The afternoon’s sessions will be followed by a special panel discussion about the role of healthy cities among the Milwaukee-area authors who contributed essays to 1000 Friends’ most recent anthology, In My Neighborhood: Celebrating Wisconsin Cities. The discussion will be followed by a book-signing reception.
      TO REGISTER, VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:
      Cost: $45 includes lunch, conference materials, optional bus tour and book reading reception.
      DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION:  MARCH 30TH

      DIRECTIONS to Marquette:
      From Madison/East: Take 94 East.  Get off on Exit 310A (13th Street).  Exit left on to 13th Street. Take a left on to Clybourn from 13th.  Take a right on to 16th from Clybourn.  Parking is on the corner of 16th Street and Wisconsin Ave.  The Union is at 1442 West Wisconsin Avenue. Parking is free!