Affordable Housing

  • JZychowicz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2004
      EINPC:

      I would like to raise a question about the affordable housing discussion.

      I've followed the reports and checked various articles, yet cannot find much, if anything, about costs and pricing for the potential occupants.  Much effort is spent on building heights, numbers of units and density issues, which are technically already covered by zoning.  The change in zoning that would occur (described in the Cap Times on 1/1/04) will certainly have a negative effect on historic preservation, and will not necessarily keep housing affordable.  In fact, how the increased density will become affordable housing seems to be entirely absent from this discussion.

      I also find attention to low-cost housing, but what about making housing available to young people, first-time home-owners, retirees, and other individuals?

      Also, the increase in density seems to be directed to the downtown and near-downtown, per yesterday's Cap Times account, rather than across the city.

      Is there more information available about this?  Please respond privately.

      Best,

      Jim

      James L. Zychowicz
      JZychowicz@...