Fwd: Support UFCW Local 538 in your congregation - participate in Labor in the Pulpits

  • Rebecca Krantz
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2003

      From: "Rebecca Hartman" <worker2@...>
      To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
      Subject: Support UFCW Local 538 in your congregation - participate in Labor in the Pulpits
      Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:48:09 -0700

      Isaiah 58:6 “Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of injustice, to undo the thongs of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke?”<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

      UFCW Local 538 members in Jefferson, Wis., are standing up against Tyson Foods’ demands for a 23% wage cut, a 4-year wage freeze, elimination of pensions, cuts in health care, reductions of vacations, and less sick leave. The 470 Tyson workers went out on strike over these proposals on February 28 and remain committed to keeping their wages and benefits intact. While Tyson Foods keeps getting more, they are trying to give the workers less! Tyson’s total sales in 2002 were $23.4 billion with gross profits of $2.23 billion. Tyson’s Prepared Foods division (of which the Jefferson plant is part) runs the highest profit margin in the company – twice as high as the rest of the company.

      UFCW members are willing to speak in your pulpit as part of  the ICWJ sponsored program called Labor in the Pulpit about the ethical and moral implications of their struggle.

      For more information or to schedule a speaker, contact the Interfaith Coalition for Worker Justice of South Central Wisconsin at 255-0376 or worker@....

      To find out the latest about the strike, visit www.tysonfamiliesstandup.org.

      In Community,

      Rebecca Krantz, Facilitator
      East Isthmus Neighborhoods Planning Council
      1321 E. Mifflin St. Suite 201
      Madison, WI 53703
      (608) 204-0834

      “I have chosen the responsibility to change society, but I also choose to be intelligent in the way I do it.  The future needs me, well-rested, well-nourished, and well-exercised…. If I am not enjoying what I am doing, then there is something wrong with how I am doing it and I will correct it.”   World Changer’s Commitment, Harvey Jackins.