Unsigned integers and large files over 2^32 - 1 bytes

  • larry_luther2003
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      Q1: I do not see support for unsigned integers, did I miss something?
      I need the equivalent of UNSIGNED_INTEGER_8 and UNSIGNED_INTEGER_16.

      Q2: Is there any file class which supports random I/O in files
      whose size exceeds that representable in INTEGER?

      Thanks, Larry
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
        > Q1: I do not see support for unsigned integers, did I miss something?
        > I need the equivalent of UNSIGNED_INTEGER_8 and
        > UNSIGNED_INTEGER_16.

        That's indeed correct. However the next standard for Eiffel introduces a new set
        of types called NATURAL_XX which are the unsigned versions of the INTEGER_XX
        types.

        > Q2: Is there any file class which supports random I/O in files
        > whose size exceeds that representable in INTEGER?

        Not an a 32bits platform. If you are using a 64bits platform, there is a way to
        modify the FILE classes to support it if your OS C library supports large files.

        Eiffel Software
        805-685-1006
        http://www.eiffel.com
        Customer support: http://support.eiffel.com