Re: Class Library Project

  • federico_olivia
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2004
      Hello,

      I look topic. But not is my question.
      "Select Open existing Ace"
      imply that i have an Ace file and i have the library.
      But my question is: In VisualEiffel i can create a project type
      precompiled library, In Envision i have project type library (ok,
      DLL .NET). But in EiffelStudio i need create a Basic Aplication with
      ROOT_CLASS and delete it after.
      I want programing from scratch my own library. In EiffelStudio new
      Project wizard have only four project types: Basic Aplication,
      MS .NET, Graphic and WEL. Which is for create a Library?
      I sorry about my english.
      Thank

      --- In eiffel_software@yahoogroups.com, Raphaël Simon <raphaels@e...>
      wrote:
      > Hello Federico,
      >
      > Did you take a look at the topic I was mentioning? It explains how
      > produce Eiffel or C libraries (i.e. precompiled libraries or dlls).
      The URL
      > (again) is:

      http://docs.eiffel.com/tools/eiffelstudio/how_to_s/40_compiling/15_gen
      eratin
      > g_libraries.html
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > --
      > Raphaël.

      Library
      > (look for example at VisualEiffel) .
      > The help is for a existent library "Select Open existing Ace" not
      for make
      > one from scratch.
      > For example: I need make an strutures library. How I begin? I not
      have
      > ROOT_CLASS ( like in Basic Application).
      > Thank
      >
      > Federico
      >

      > --- In eiffel_software@yahoogroups.com, Raphaël Simon
      <raphaels@e...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hello Federico,
      > >
      > > You should probably take a look at the documentation, in
      particular
      > the
      > > topic in "Tools->EiffelStudio->EiffelStudio How To's->Compiling-
      > >Generating libraries" (Click on the entry "Contents" in
      the "Help"
      > >menu of
      > EiffelStudio
      > > to bring the help window). A search for "Precompiled Libraries"
      > will return
      > > this topic and others that you might find interesting.
      > > The topic is also available online at

      http://docs.eiffel.com/tools/eiffelstudio/how_to_s/40_compiling/15_gen
      > eratin
      > > g_libraries.html
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > --
      > > Raphaël.

      Printer
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2004
        Hello Federico,

        If you want to create a .NET dll follow Manu's suggestion
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eiffel_software/message/3703). If you want to
        create a library in classic mode, simply choose the project which is best
        suited to your need (i.e. basic, WEL or EiffelVision) and then follow the
        steps indicated in the documentation. Each of the basic project type can
        produce a library if you configure the project accordingly.

        So for example, to create a dll in classic mode:
        1. Start EiffelStudio
        2. Choose Basic Project
        3. Generate a definition file for this library, via the Dynamic library
        Builder
        4. Open the Project Settings dialog
        5. In the Advanced tab, check Shared library definition
        6. Enter the name of the definition you created in the first step (including
        the path if necessary)
        7. Compile the current project.

        See
        http://docs.eiffel.com/tools/eiffelstudio/reference/30_compiler/40_dynamic_l
        ibrary_generation/10_dynamic_library_builder.html for information on how to
        use the dynamic library builder.

        Raphaël.

        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2004
          Thank very much for your time,
          But..

          > 2. Choose Basic Project

          Need a ROOT_CLASS and in a library i have not ROOT_CLASS.

          I have disable the Compilation_type in Project Configuration Windows
          ( swhow Application )

          Is it a limitation of free edition?

          regards

          wrote:
          > Hello Federico,
          >
          > If you want to create a .NET dll follow Manu's suggestion
          > (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eiffel_software/message/3703). If
          you want to
          > create a library in classic mode, simply choose the project which
          is best
          > suited to your need (i.e. basic, WEL or EiffelVision) and then
          follow the
          > steps indicated in the documentation. Each of the basic project
          type can
          > produce a library if you configure the project accordingly.
          >
          > So for example, to create a dll in classic mode:
          > 1. Start EiffelStudio
          > 2. Choose Basic Project
          > 3. Generate a definition file for this library, via the Dynamic
          library
          > Builder
          > 4. Open the Project Settings dialog
          > 5. In the Advanced tab, check Shared library definition
          > 6. Enter the name of the definition you created in the first step
          (including
          > the path if necessary)
          > 7. Compile the current project.
          >
          > See

          http://docs.eiffel.com/tools/eiffelstudio/reference/30_compiler/40_dyn
          amic_l
          > ibrary_generation/10_dynamic_library_builder.html for information
          on how to
          > use the dynamic library builder.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > --
          > Raphaël.

        • Raphaël Simon
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2004
            Just put "NONE" as root class. Since NONE inherits all classes by
            definition, this means that all classes in the universe will be in the
            system.

            Raphaël.

            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2004
              Thank,
              what about root_feature? A libarary not have root feature. Is it a
              limitation of free version? is posible in free version create new own
              precompiled eiffel librarys?

              regards
              Federico.
              PD. Look at Obejct Tools Visual Eiffel project types.

              wrote:
              > Just put "NONE" as root class. Since NONE inherits all classes by
              > definition, this means that all classes in the universe will be in
              the
              > system.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > --
              > Raphaël.
            • Raphaël Simon
              Message 6 of 15 , May 3, 2004
                You can create precompiled library with the free version and you don't need
                a root feature if you specify NONE as root class. Unfortunately the Wizard
                will not let you specify an empty root creation routine so what you have to
                do is to specify some dummy name in the wizard and then change it to be
                empty in the property settings of the project.

                Raphaël.