Melting and freezing

  • Robert Jurjevic
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2003
      Dear Eiffelers,

      If I am working on a project in EiffelStudio 5.2 (Windows) melting it a
      number of times and then freezing it. Is a resulting frozen version the same
      (size and runtime efficiency) as the one I would obtain after erasing Eifgen
      directory and its context and then freezing? Thank you.

      Yours sincerely,

      Robert Jurjevic
    • Gary Smithrud
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2003
        I believe so. Freezing generates C code from the
        source and isn't dependent on the melted code (ISE
        will correct me if I'm wrong...I hope). A frozen
        version will not be the same size nor runtime
        efficiency as a finalized version, though.

        Gary.
        --- Robert Jurjevic <robert.jurjevic@...>
        wrote:
        > Dear Eiffelers,
        >
        > If I am working on a project in EiffelStudio 5.2
        > (Windows) melting it a
        > number of times and then freezing it. Is a resulting
        > frozen version the same
        > (size and runtime efficiency) as the one I would
        > obtain after erasing Eifgen
        > directory and its context and then freezing? Thank
        > you.
        >
        > Yours sincerely,
        >
        > Robert Jurjevic

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Robert Jurjevic
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2003
          Dear Gary,

          Thank you.

          Yours sincerely,

          Robert Jurjevic

          > I believe so. Freezing generates C code from the
          > source and isn't dependent on the melted code (ISE
          > will correct me if I'm wrong...I hope). A frozen
          > version will not be the same size nor runtime
          > efficiency as a finalized version, though.
          >
          > Gary.
          > --- Robert Jurjevic <robert.jurjevic@...>
          > wrote:
          > > Dear Eiffelers,
          > >
          > > If I am working on a project in EiffelStudio 5.2
          > > (Windows) melting it a
          > > number of times and then freezing it. Is a resulting
          > > frozen version the same
          > > (size and runtime efficiency) as the one I would
          > > obtain after erasing Eifgen
          > > directory and its context and then freezing? Thank
          > > you.
          > >
          > > Yours sincerely,
          > >
          > > Robert Jurjevic

        • Berend de Boer
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2003
            "Robert Jurjevic" <robert.jurjevic@...> writes:

            > If I am working on a project in EiffelStudio 5.2 (Windows) melting it a
            > number of times and then freezing it. Is a resulting frozen version the same
            > (size and runtime efficiency) as the one I would obtain after erasing Eifgen
            > directory and its context and then freezing? Thank you.

            I believe the compiler warns that the resulting executable is not
            optimal, isn't it??

            At least I can remember seeing messages like that in certain situations.

            --
            Live long and prosper,

            Berend de Boer