EIS

  • larry_rix
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1 2:07 PM
      I have a MediWiki site now and want to create a link from the Wiki to launch Eiffel Studio to a particular class (and perhaps feature).

      I see the documentation that says I can do the following:

      [[eiffel:?system=accounting_parser.540330BE-0085-4012-928C-56ABD02C8A78&target=accounting_parser&cluster=abstract&class=ACCOUNTING_DOCUMENT]]

      But when MediaWiki sees it, the server is unable to resolve it and tries to create a new page. I have looked to ensure the registry is properly set up under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\eiffel\shell\open\command. This appears correct and was set up during the product install.

      Also, I am able to get the EIS Outgoing to work -- that is -- from Eiffel back to the Wiki page.

      The trouble is now getting the Wiki to open up Eiffel Studio and take me to the CLASS or the CLASS.feature

      Thanks,
      Larry
    • Emmanuel Stapf
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1 2:27 PM
        To check incoming, go to
        http://docs.eiffel.com/book/eiffelstudio/eis-incoming-examples and see that it
        does open EiffelStudio, if not already open. If it is open, EiffelStudio switches
        immediately to the linked class/feature. If it doesn't work, then there might be
        something else at play. I've tried with a fresh EiffelStudio installation and it
        worked.

        Note that the first time you open an incoming link, you are usually prompted by
        your web browser if you want to open the link using EiffelStudio. I'm not sure if
        there is a way to change your answer if you said no once.

      • larry_rix
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1 2:30 PM
          Hi Manu,

          Yes -- I am at this page. Yes -- clicking on the links activates Eiffel Studio and takes me right to the class or class+feature. What I need to know is how to format the "MediaWiki markup" in order to achieve this. I have been putting:

          [[eiffel:?class=STRING_8]]

          So far, this is not working.

          Thanks,
          Larry

          --- In eiffel_software@yahoogroups.com, "Emmanuel Stapf" <manus@...> wrote:

          > To check incoming, go to
          > http://docs.eiffel.com/book/eiffelstudio/eis-incoming-examples and see that it
          > does open EiffelStudio, if not already open. If it is open, EiffelStudio switches
          > immediately to the linked class/feature. If it doesn't work, then there might be
          > something else at play. I've tried with a fresh EiffelStudio installation and it
          > worked.
          >
          > Note that the first time you open an incoming link, you are usually prompted by
          > your web browser if you want to open the link using EiffelStudio. I'm not sure if
          > there is a way to change your answer if you said no once.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Manu

        • Emmanuel Stapf
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1 2:34 PM
            I found this

            http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgUrlProtocols

            that could be helpful.

            Manu

          • larry_rix
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1 2:46 PM
              Actually, the link you first sent to me:

              http://docs.eiffel.com/book/eiffelstudio/eis-incoming-examples

              This is a Wiki. If you open that up and tell me how you have the external link there configured precisely, that will tell me how to configure it on my MediaWiki.

              Also, if there are additions to your LocalSettings.php around the $wgUrlProtocols settings, you could look there. I would do it, but I don't have admin rights to docs.eiffel.com. :-)

              Cheers,

            • Emmanuel Stapf
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1 2:49 PM
                > Actually, the link you first sent to me:
                >
                > http://docs.eiffel.com/book/eiffelstudio/eis-incoming-examples
                >
                > This is a Wiki.

                It acts like one but it is not Mediawiki. I'm not sure how this is configured on
                our end to make this work. That's why I sent you the link for the Mediawiki URL
                configuration since you said you were using Mediawiki.

              • larry_rix
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1 2:54 PM
                  Ok -- I think I am zeroing in on it now.

                  --- In eiffel_software@yahoogroups.com, "Emmanuel Stapf" <manus@...> wrote:

                  > > Actually, the link you first sent to me:
                  > >
                  > > http://docs.eiffel.com/book/eiffelstudio/eis-incoming-examples
                  > >
                  > > This is a Wiki.
                  >
                  > It acts like one but it is not Mediawiki. I'm not sure how this is configured on
                  > our end to make this work. That's why I sent you the link for the Mediawiki URL
                  > configuration since you said you were using Mediawiki.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Manu

                • larry_rix
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 11 10:43 AM
                    It turns out that Manu and I stumbled on the solution to getting MediaWiki links to Eiffel Studio to work at almost the precise same moment.

                    The format of the [[file: ...]] external link is very particular. The important bit is to define eiffel to the MediaWiki in the LocalSettings.php file, which is located in the .\www\mw\ directory.

                    Add the following:

                    $wgUrlProtocols = array_merge ( $wgUrlProtocols, array ('file://', 'eiffel:?'));

                    Once this is added, then you can reference EIS with a reference in the Wiki text like:

                    [[eiffel:?class=MY_CLASS MY_CLASS]]

                    We found that we needed the "?" character immediately after the ":" to make it work. Manu reports that he can get it to work without it. Either way, the two steps above, especially the php settings are the key to making this work.