Re: [eiffel_software] Getting rid of "Void"?

  • Thomas Beale
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 1, 2009
      Peter Gummer wrote:

      > Thomas Beale wrote:
      > > I did mean to say void-safe. The problem remains: class models, seen as
      > > classificatory ontologies of real world concepts (i.e. what we usually
      > > call business objects) can't easily be made void-safe because the
      > > classifications (things such as PERSON, ACCOUNT) are generally quite
      > > broad, and encompass many variations where certain attributes may be
      > > void, more or less arbitrarily.
      > >

      > This doesn't prevent void-safety. Wherever there is the possibility of
      > 'x' being void, you simply protect access to it with "if x /= Void" or
      > "require x /= Void" or "check x /= Void", or with an object test.

      I think my main point here is that half the code in a typical business
      information system should be compiled with void-safe types as the
      default, while the other half should not. Currently, as far as I can
      see, we would have to go and change all the type declarations in
      business classes from T to ?T, since void-safe compiling applies
      globally, not on a per-cluster or subsystem basis. Or else we just keep
      void-safe checking turned off, in which case the advantages in the base
      libraries are not used.

      - thomas
    • Peter Gummer
      Message 36 of 36 , Nov 11, 2009
        Jonathan S. Ostroff wrote:

        > I recall that there was talk of a tool that would revise clusters/
        > classes
        > with the old ? and ! detachable/attachable syntax to the new syntax.
        > Likewise for object tests.

        tools/spec/{PLATFORM}/bin/syntax_updater

        (Note that it's under 'tools', not 'studio'.)

        - Peter Gummer