RE: the Eiffel time library

  • Steve Singer <sws@dedicatedresponse.com>
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2003
      Puzzle #1:
      In the Eiffel library class DATE there are both "make_now" and
      "make_now_utc" features (even though there seems to be no mention of
      "make_now_utc" in the 5.2 EiffelStudio help). Presumably, one
      creates a current date for your local time zone and the other
      creates a current date at the Greenwich Meridian--now referred
      to as "Coordinated Universal Time" (UTC) by the politically correct.
      There should be analogous features in the DATE_TIME class, but such is
      not the case--only "make_now" exists for DATE_TIME. So . . . How does
      one derive an offset from GMT (UTC) to a local time zone? If this is
      obvious, please slap my hands and _then_ tell me. ;-)

      Puzzle #2:
      The language-specific formats for day names and month names contain
      arrays for both short (3-letter) and spelled-out names. However, I can
      find no class in the time library that refers either to those long
      month names or to long day names. Have I missed something, or has
      someone else extended the classes to provide a way to (1) generate the
      output "Sunday, February 2, 2003" from a DATE object, and (2) make a
      valid DATE object from that same string?

      Wishing you all a Happy Groundhog Day, thanks in advance.
    • Robert Jurjevic
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2003
        Dear,

        I think that when you make DATE object with make_now_utc the date is UTC
        (GMT) and when you make it with make_now the date is your local date. Say,
        if you make a date with make_now at 00:30 Paris time on 3rd of February 2003
        then if you would have made the date with make_now_utc you would get 2nd of
        February 2003 as 00:30 Paris time on 3rd of February 2003 corresponds to
        23:30 Paris time on 2nd of February 2003.

        To print long named months and days I think you should look at formatted_out
        but I do not know what code string you should supply. Try investigating a
        bit DATE_TIME_CODE_STRING class.

        Yours sincerely,

        Robert Jurjevic

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2003
          The following short program may illustrate my
          original question ("Puzzle #1") more succinctly:

          class
          TEST

          feature
          here: DATE_TIME
          utc: DATE -- feature 'make_now_utc' not in DATE_TIME
          utc_test is
          do
          create here.make_now
          create utc.make_now_utc
          io.put_string (here.formatted_out
          ("ddd, mmm dd, yyyy hh12:[0]mi:[0]ss") + "%N")
          io.put_string (utc.formatted_out
          ("ddd, mmm dd, yyyy hh12:[0]mi:[0]ss") + "%N")
          end -- utc_test
          end --TEST

          generates:

          MON, FEB 3, 2003 10:00:57 AM
          MON, FEB 3, 2003 12:00:00 AM

          Press Return to finish the execution...

          Since I am on Eastern Standard Time (USA), this
          cannot be correct. The difficulty appears to stem
          from the lack of a 'make_now_utc' feature in the
          Eiffel class DATE_TIME. That feature only appears
          in the class DATE.

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2003
            In 5.3 we have added `make_now_utc' in DATE_TIME and TIME class. But in the case
            of a DATE, this is normal that the time is by default set to `12am'.

            Manu

          • Robert Jurjevic
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 6, 2003
              Dear Manu,

              > In 5.3 we have added `make_now_utc' in
              > DATE_TIME and TIME class. But in the case
              > of a DATE, this is normal that the time is
              > by default set to `12am'.

              I do not understand why create utc.make_now_utc should set the time to 12 am
              when UTC is thicking like any other time. For example I am writing this
              e-mail at 10:03 am UTC.

              One explanation for this could be that DATE does not contain time (or
              contains it in a "different way"?!) at least logically but if that is the
              case I do not see the reason why one should be allowed to print the time in
              formatted output of an object of DATE type.

              Thank you.

              > > class
              > > TEST
              > >
              > > feature
              > > here: DATE_TIME
              > > utc: DATE -- feature 'make_now_utc' not in DATE_TIME
              > > utc_test is
              > > do
              > > create here.make_now
              > > create utc.make_now_utc
              > > io.put_string (here.formatted_out
              > > ("ddd, mmm dd, yyyy hh12:[0]mi:[0]ss") + "%N")
              > > io.put_string (utc.formatted_out
              > > ("ddd, mmm dd, yyyy hh12:[0]mi:[0]ss") + "%N")
              > > end -- utc_test
              > > end --TEST
              > >

              > > generates:
              > >
              > > MON, FEB 3, 2003 10:00:57 AM
              > > MON, FEB 3, 2003 12:00:00 AM

              Yours sincerely,

              Robert Jurjevic

              > In 5.3 we have added `make_now_utc' in DATE_TIME and TIME class. But in
              the case
              > of a DATE, this is normal that the time is by default set to `12am'.
              >
              > Manu

            • Gary Smithrud
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 6, 2003
                DATE is the class for dates only. TIME is the class
                for time only. DATE_TIME contains both. Since the OS
                represents date and time as a single time_t value, the
                DATE class just defaults the time component that it
                doesn't use to 12:00 AM for the OS. At least that's
                my guess (I don't have the Eiffel libraries in front
                of me).

                Gary.

                --- Robert Jurjevic <robert.jurjevic@...>

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 6, 2003
                  I forgot to add that 12:00 AM is the value 0 for the
                  time component.

                  Gary.

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com