WEL splash screen classes

  • David Jenkins
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2008
      There used to be a library named WEX that included Eiffel classes for
      creating splash screens and other Windows effects. That library is not
      included with EiffelStudio 6.2 GPL. Has the splash screen functionality
      been merged into WEL? or, if not, is WEX still available somewhere?
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2008
        > There used to be a library named WEX that included Eiffel
        > classes for creating splash screens and other Windows
        > effects. That library is not included with EiffelStudio 6.2
        > GPL. Has the splash screen functionality been merged into
        > WEL? or, if not, is WEX still available somewhere?

        WEX has not been delivered with EiffelStudio for some time now (the last
        version to include it was 5.6). The source code is still available but due
        to lack of resources to maintain this library we have removed it from our
        deliverable. If you are interested in merging some of the feature in WEL,
        you can access to the source code of WEX at
        https://svn.eiffel.com/eiffelstudio/trunk/free_add_ons/wex/.

        Note that you do not need WEX for creating a splashscreen. You can do what
        we do in EiffelStudio. We simply create a borderless window and show it for
        a few seconds before closing it.

      • Peter Gummer
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2008
          Why use WEL anyway? Vision2 is much better.

          - Peter Gummer
        • martinkew
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2008
            --- In eiffel_software@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Gummer" <p-gummer@...>
            wrote:

            > Why use WEL anyway? Vision2 is much better.
            >
            > - Peter Gummer

            Peter, do you know of a text book or instruction material for
            constructing GUI application using the Vision2 library, besides the
            library documentation and the old calculator example?
          • Peter Gummer
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2008
              martinkew wrote:

              > Peter, do you know of a text book or instruction material for
              > constructing GUI application using the Vision2 library, besides the
              > library documentation and the old calculator example?

              The best thing is EiffelBuild. It generates an application and windows that
              you design visually, so it's fairly easy to get started.

              There's also the EiffelVision Demo, which is also installed with
              EiffelStudio.

              I don't know of any text book, unfortunately.

              - Peter Gummer
            • David Jenkins
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2008
                Thanks Manu for the reply. This makes sense, I'll try it.

                > Note that you do not need WEX for creating a splashscreen. You can do
                what
                > we do in EiffelStudio. We simply create a borderless window and show
                it for
                > a few seconds before closing it.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Manu

              • David Jenkins
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2008
                  About 5 years ago I spent many hours developing an application that
                  needed to display run-time graphics (similar to but not the same as
                  horizontal bar charts). I used WEL because, at the time, it seemed to
                  me to have more capability than Vision (even though I regretted dooming
                  it to a Windows-only future). I even created an Eiffel interface to 2
                  Windows widgets, the DateTime Picker and Calendar, not supplied with
                  the WEL distribution. Best of all, it worked! and was very fast and
                  efficient.

                  Then I got dragged into overtime projects at my real job, and sadly,
                  let it slip.

                  When I downloaded EiffelStudio 6.x a few months ago and tried a few
                  demo apps, I was especially impressed with the graphics capabilities of
                  the IDE. Apparently Vision2 is much improved over its predecessor. The
                  thought occured to me, why not dust off the old project and redo it
                  using the Vision2 library? Now you're tempting me even more! I'm
                  weakening.

                  I assume if I wanted to use a calendar/date widget in Vision2, that I'd
                  need to roll my own, correct? (I don't see anything like that skimming
                  the Vision2 documentation.) Is the help that comes with EiffelStudio
                  the best source for information on Vision? Something like Maughan's
                  and Simon's excellent book on WEL would be ideal.

                  > Why use WEL anyway? Vision2 is much better.
                  >
                  > - Peter Gummer

                • Peter Gummer
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2008
                    David Jenkins wrote:

                    > I assume if I wanted to use a calendar/date widget in Vision2, that I'd
                    > need to roll my own, correct?

                    In the vision2_extension library there is a class EV_WEL_CONTAINER. I think
                    it would allow you to reuse your WEL calendar widget.

                    > Is the help that comes with EiffelStudio
                    > the best source for information on Vision? Something like
                    > Maughan's and Simon's excellent book on WEL would be ideal.

                    Maughan and Peter Horan were writing a book on Vision2 about five years ago,
                    but it was never published. I would have bought it.

                    I think the easiest thing to do is just start building an application with
                    EiffelBuild. When you have a GUI builder like that, you don't really need a
                    book to get you started. And books typically don't answer the really tricky
                    or obscure questions!

                    - Peter
                  • rfo@amalasoft.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 3, 2008
                      I built a vision2-based calendar widget a while ago. You're welcome to us it of course.
                      I'm redoing my website to have all the src code Eiffel Forum 2 licensed and formatted for popular consumption. I should have it all updated by the end of this weekend. Have a look on Monday and let me know if it works for you. You could grab the widget now if you prefer, just ignore all the other crap on the site :)

                      site: www.amalasoft.com

                      Roger F. Osmond
                      Amalasoft Corporation
                      273 Harwood Avenue