[eiffel-nice-library] Re: ISE's position

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 1999
      marcel.satchell@... wrote:

      > The semantics of features such as `has' and `capacity' may not have
      > major implementation technical problems, but they do have major problems
      > for the abstractions and legacy software...

      I guess Emmanuel was assuming that the 2000 vintage would not modify
      'has', but would add a pair of new features (e.g.
      'has_value'/'has_object') so as not to break ISE's existing use of
      'has'.

      Of course these new features could break existing software which uses
      those names for its own purposes - but most users would gladly use a
      different name in their own code in return for a rigorous, interoperable
      kernel class.

      Now that Emmanuel has indicated ISE's goodwill, I suggest we seize the
      opportunity and proceed rapidly towards vintage 2000.

      I suggest we look in more detail at STRING, as most of the focus so far
      has been on ARRAY. I also suggest that other classes, and the questions
      of Eiffel/C interfacing, be left for vintage 2001. Much better to get a
      small but useful improvement out the door, than to risk spending another
      five years without any tangible result.

      6 Bambers Walk Wesham PR4 3DG UK - +44 1772 687525